How can I tell which apps on my Android phone are tracking my location?

Drsunil V July 6, 2014

How can I tell which installed apps are tracking my location? The reason I ask is I want to know how to minimize battery draining by apps hogging for fine location in contrast to course location which I understand does not hog battery a lot.

When you install applications, you are told whether they require access to your location or not. You could check the Google Play Store and see the details for each app.

As for "precise location", the applications don't specifically ask for that, and they don't use more energy to get it. Rather, if WiFi is switched on, a more accurate location reading will be provided to the apps by the system, and it is the WiFi being switched on which uses up your battery, so you can simply switch it off when you don't need it!

• Drsunil V

True that wifi uses battery.

You can use Avast Antivirus which provides your privacy advise for apps using your which aspect of your data.

• Drsunil V

I tried Avast app. Are you sure this feature of Avast is for free users?

• Susendeep D

Yes,it's.

• Drsunil V

I understand. If further assistance is required in this regard , i may get back to you

• Drsunil V

• Drsunil V

Please tell , does AVG list apps using GPS. Few days back I noticed that CCleaner or Cleanmaster for Android also has the feature , but the app itself seemed to use lot of resources

Privacy Fix option does scan only for social networks like Facebook, Twitter,etc. It will not scan for all kind of websites.

• Dr.sunil V