How can I take my website down, but continue using the domain name for email?

March 6, 2014

I currently own a domain name with both a website and a email through register.com. I want to take down the website, but keep using the domain name for email.

Is there a way I can do this through my control panel, or do I have to contact their customer service to make it happen?

1. Rajaa C

Install a free FTP client software and login to your domain using the FTP client software using your domain login credentials. Delete all the folders and and files including your homepage which is usually index.html or default.html. You can use the free Coffeecup FTP client software for this purpose from http://www.coffeecup.com/free-ftp/ . Once it is done, your website will be down however you can continue to use emails. When the renewal of the domain is due, do it however discontinue the web hosting to reduce the charges.

2. perfere

Go into control panel and set a reroute. Then anytime someone attempts to access your page they will be rerouted to somewhere else. Or just replace your website main page with a page that is just a screen shot of a broken link.