Can you suggest an interesting programming project for a programming student?

Stef V September 27, 2014

I just started this certified course (3 evenings per week) on programming in C# with Visual Studio and WPF. After 2 years I should write software for a real client that is fully operational and user-friendly (it can be any business, no fee), starting from analysing what it is he wants, documenting the design, computerise processes up to the coding itself and testing. Web-based or mobile apps are not allowed. Any cool (creative) ideas?

Take into account that we start from scratch and lessons are only theoretical, so you work individualy on your project outside class in your own time. I have a full-time job and besides HTML and basic PHP no previous knowledge of coding, but I’m highIy motivated. I finished law school 3 years ago but the jobs in this field don’t attract or challenge me anymore. I’m still to young to only work for the money, so I love to reorientate myself.

1. Erlis D

I don't know if this will help you, but we had projects in school in C or C++ programming, and I can suggest one that we worked with. It was about a rain simulator. So basically, the direction of the wind, the speed of the wind and other factors where taken in consideration so the program could simulate the speed and direction of the rain. The rain was simulated directly in the terminal, and no "extra" code for any graphical improvement was used. So, if you are a beginner-intermediate, it might be a good project for you. Also, if you want something more challenging you can do the simulation of snow, and add also add graphical effects to make the snow more real.

2. Dann A

If you're just beginning, and have very little experience, you could try an inventory-type app. Make an app that will catalogue all of your books, allow you to include information on who you lent them to, state whether they're hardcover or paperback, have links that open up the browser with the book's Amazon page open, and things like that. You could do it for movies, video games, board games . . . anything that you have a collection of. That might be a good place to start. It's a good way to get a handle on database-type operations, and once you get to more complicated text-processing, you could even include your own search engine.