How can I stream video from my mobile devices to my TV?

Adon V May 4, 2014

I have a HDTV but apart from the standard IO and HDMI and USB ports it doesn’t have Ethernet connectivity.

I am looking for a solution wherein I can play media on my TV from my devices (Google Nexus 2013, Moto G and HTC). I tried using Google Chromecast but then there are limitations (it supports streaming online stuff mainly). I want to beam whatever is playing on my phone or tablet be it online or offline. And I think wifi can help here.

Is there a wifi receiver that has an HDMI output or something of that sort?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

1. Zoran N

Oh, c'mon! What is your TV's brand and model? You didn't think that is important info? :)

Anyway, I have LG smart TV with built-in WiFi, so I use Serviio on my laptop to stream videos. Also, I have tried to stream videos from my Samsung smartphone - it worked nice and without any problems. Only thing important is that both devices are connected to the same ruter (wireless or via cables - not that important).

Twonky for Android and iOS is a great solution to beam (stream) online and offline connect from your mobile devices to DLNA capable devices. I have used it several times to stream offline content to a PS3, XBox 360, PCs and laptops, and even to other mobile devices. I cannot say that it works perfectly every time, but it progressively works better with each update. With Twonky installed on your mobile device, you can stream your content, whether online or offline, from your device to any DLNA capable device, which there are several devices mentioned on their website and description in the app stores.

3. Rajaa C

If your TV has an embedded WiDi and your phone supports WiDi, you can give it a shot. If your TV does not have embedded WiDi, try the method in the first video link.

Video links to give you hint :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXFg8VBmv1A

4. Junil M

if you want to cast you mobile screen on you tv then both your tv and your mobile device require miracast or similar technology. I don't think wifi can help on this.