How can I stop popups when I am downloading or watching videos?

Anonymous March 17, 2014

Hi! I’m using software known as BYWIFI video accelerator for more than 4 years now. The software worked just fine (it’s freeware) until last year. However, recently (about 10 months ago) the software starts showing an annoying pop-up eg. (http://globalrewardzone.prizesavingzonlind.eu/?sov=62562701&hid=hrrljtvlzhrpr) entitled ‘survey 2014’ or “global promotions” and simultaneously prompt an adope flash player installer. I’ve tried several adblocks to block the page but after several days the web page changes it’s id numbers at the end of the IP.

I’d really appreciate any help given to stop this problem so that I can watch & download videos peacefully. Thank you very much.

1. Abilash A

Adblock should help

2. dragonmouth

Definitely get rid of BYWIFI. If you want faster speed, get a better plan from your ISP, if available.

Reviews on download.com suggest this software has malware bundled with it. This could come from the software itself, as you suggest, or from the installer (many of the major download sites include "optional software" as an opt-out option nowadays, a major headache!).

Either way, I agree with Bruce & Jeff. Remove the software itself since its benefits, if any, will be minor, and run MalwareBytes Free (make sure to get it from http://www.malwarebytes.org/? as there are many fake copies out there!) to remove the malware. Let us know how you got on (and make the question as resolved if it is). If the problem persists, there are other solutions we can suggest, so let us know!

thanks , Oron J for your information
      malware? of course !
      maybe i'll just uninstall the program and let it rest in peace so that it does not invite any harm to my computer
      and can i ask for a favor?
      is there any program similar to bywifi .A program that can automatically save video/music while streaming in various website EXcept Youtube (i rarely download youtube videos..strange eh? )
      btw....is download.com the official download.cnet.com

• Oron J

Simply installing the software will probably not remove the malware. What usually happens is that in the process of installing the one package, you install the others, but once they're there, they're there and need to be removed separately. I really recommend you give Malawarebytes a try.

As for ByWiFi, I'm afraid I don't know, but perhaps you can keep your software (see above). Download.com and download.cnet.com are the same site, just a shorter name...

did you install anew version or it is the old version running for some years?
    Adwcleaner
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Removal-Tools/AdwCleaner.shtml

Wow !, thank you, this software looks promising
      i have always updated Bywifi anually... from 2010 to 2013 ( 5 to 6 times)
      the previous versions worked just perfect untill the newest update that was around jun 2013 starts to initialize the SAME ad upon starting.
      I tried previous version that i've saved in my computer (virus-free) but they all react the same
      **the fishy thing here is that the previous version should have a search bar in it but when i installed them they all look the same as the latest version with ad.

maybe when you un-installed the latest version of Bywifi some left over files are there so when you installed the oldest version then popup windows started to appear but it is also possible that Bywifi connect to the server and do the popup thing indpendent from the version you install.

5. Jeff F

I would recommend that you remove BYWIFI video accelerator immediately and remove the malware, following Bruce's advice.

You should know that no amount of software will not increase your download speeds. I mean, you wouldn't use software that advertised it could "double the amount of memory installed in your computer", would you? Stream acceleration doesn't exist in the form of software and if it does your just scrapping the bottom of the barrel for left overs.. What you should do is try to find the bottleneck in this entire operation. Typically, for most users, it's their broadband connection speeds offered by their ISP. Take a speedtest to determine whether or not your throughput is sufficient for streaming media.

Additionally, you should routinely restart your modem/router/PC and clear your browser's cache. You may want to experiment around with other browsers such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Opera and Optimize Your System To Run At Its Best With CCleaner. Reduce the amount of software/services running on your system if at all possible and disable any clients on the network that don't need to be running. Lastly, I advise that you keep your Adobe Flash Player up-to-date.

How to Improve Your Video-Streaming (technewsworld)
    How to Improve Video Streaming (wikihow)

Thank you for your tips and i'll definitely tune up & clean my PC more regularly~!!

btw I'm using the Bywifi video accelerator not just for accelerating videos but to make us of it's function to save video while streaming directly to the computer from ANY website and it also supports playback & resume.very nice

It is likely you have an infected computer so update your antivirus software and run a full scan on the system. If you don't already have it, download and install Malwarebytes AntiMalware, update it and run a full scan.

If these did not find and remove the infection, you can also simply block the site. Don't use the entire URL, just the domain. Either use 'http://globalrewardzone.prizesavingzonlind.eu/' or 'http://prizesavingzonlind.eu/'.

• Nazreen E

Yes..thank you
      1)the freeware i dont know how , i dont know why ..it is bundled with malware
      i used "malwarebytes anti-malware" as you recommended and it detected and cleaned 5 files (4 files 1 folder)...
      2)Of course the files will reappear if I re-installed bywifi ( which i did ) and fortunately upon re-starting Bywifi ,MALWAREBYTES successfully blocked the malicous IP that bywifi re-directs and now i can browse the web ad-less
      3)In conclusion bywifi.exe is malicious and do redirects ads
      it is wise to uninstall it and switch to another similar program such as tubemaster++.