How can I stop my PC from entering power saving mode?

Anonymous June 17, 2014

My desktop PC regularly goes into Power Saving mode even whilst I am using it. Once it goes into this mode, I cannot “rewake” the PC so I have to reboot the machine. This sometimes also happens whilst it is booting up before it gets to the windows boot logo. I don’t even have the power saving options (it is a desktop) enabled either in the BIOS or Windows. I have updated the Windows video drivers, my BIOS, checked all the connections and still no joy.

1. Sandra G

Go to control panel and click on power options (assume this is windows 7).click on change plan settings and beside the option to put computer to sleep select never.

• Tom C

Thanks Sandra G have already done that and checked on a number of occassions in case it reverts back for some reason but everything is disabled and still the issue persists.

It doesn't sound like "sleep" at all, but rather as some kind of crash/power loss. Follow Bruce's advice regarding the Event Viewer and see what's going on. You may find the answer there, but if not, you could try Alan's suggestion and repair Windows.

If that doesn't help, the next stage would be to replace the power supply. Power supplies are the one component that really "gets old" on a PC, as they produce less power over time than they did when they were new. Make sure that the replacement PSU has plenty more power than your system consumes (my rule of thumb is that if the PSU in the PC is original and not from a gaming system etc, I get one rated at least 50-100w higher).

• Tom C

Swapped over to a new power supply of 750w about a week ago. According to their web page, for my system, I needed 620w so I want over to 750w. This "sleep" issue has happened 3 times since. Checked the power supply in a different PC and all works fine. Looks like a Repair Install then probably a complete install. Sigh.

• Oron J

Good to know. Seeing your response to Bruce though, the cause is almost certainly overheating by the processor. You are only seeing some overheating events and not the ones at the time of the crash because the processor has hardware to cut out when overheating, so the system has no time to write anything in the log.

In the first instance, I suggest you run a temperature-monitoring program like SpeedFan or a specialised utility from Intel or AMD and monitor your CPU temperatures at all times.

There can be plenty of reasons why the processor would overheat: mechanical (dust, loosely bonded heatsink); driver issues, buggy utility software or a problem with the BIOS. You could start by giving the PC-internals a good clean (make sure to keep yourself grounded at all times) and if you can replace the thermal paste between the heat sink & the processor, so much the better (if you have never done this before, watch a YouTube video or two on the topic, or better yet, get a friend with experience to help you with this). You could also update all your hardware drivers with the newest version from the manufacturer. Leave updating the BIOS to the last - it's a risky proposition.

• Tom C

Sorry for lateness of reply Oron, been away and too much World Cup (ughhh, why do we have to have time zones) Have been using SpeedFan and it tells me that neither of my Core, GPU, CPU or HDD's have gone above 44 degrees C over past week. Gave the inside a good clean and these figures stayed the same. Have also updated all my drivers for Graphics, CPU, sound card, mouse, etc etc so now it looks like either a BIOS update.

Power Options->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting (select disabled)
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

• Tom C

As per my question, power savings are NOT enabled yet it still happens

"I don’t even have the power saving options (it is a desktop) enabled either in the BIOS or Windows"

try to clear cmos settings.
      1) shutdown desktop pc
      2) remove power cable
      3) remove cmos battery like 1_2h
      4) then reinsert cmos battery, replug power cable and boot windows.

• Tom C

Thank you Hovsep and I have actioned as you advised, even brought a new battery just in case. So far in past 24 hours, no issues so will keep fingers crossed.

Okay glad to hear this news:), just let us know if it is definitive fix during the next few days. Thanks for your feedback.

I really doubt your computer is trying to sleep. Open up Event Viewer and check the System log for entries with a source containing the words Kernel Power. I don't think you will find any and you would if the system is attempting to change power states.

While you are in the system log, look for all Error entries near a time when one of these lockups occured. These will most likely point you toward the problem. I would tend to suspect memory errors, issues with the power supply, or temperature issues near the top of the list.

• Tom C

I have found a number of Kernel Power entries over the past month but all of these seem to be info only with only one error but that was not at a time when this issue occured. For you infomation, the following is the message for one of the many Kernel Power events:

"ACPI thermal zone ACPIThermalZoneTZ01 has been enumerated. " But as I said, I DO NOT have any power options or system suspension enabled

• Bruce E

At the beginning of your question you stated "My desktop PC regularly goes into Power Saving mode..." This proves that your initial assertion is incorrect. It has nothing to do with power saving at all. There is some other kind of error that is causing this behavior that does not involve power saving settings, hibernation, sleep mode, etc.

Are there other errors being logged around the time when you are having this issue? These are what we investigating.

• Tom C

Sorry for lateness in reply Bruce and I appreciate your help. No other critical errors at the time. A couple of warnings about network issues but nothing critical. The reason i wrote goes into power saving mode as that is the message that appears on the screen and it then goes to sleep. My PC doesnt power off however and I have to hold the power button down to close it down then restart it.

Do a repair install, that will repair any corrupt files but leave your configuration intact. If you dont have your windows 7 disc or dont know how to perform a repair install post back and I/we will detail it for you.

• Tom C

Thanks Alan. If I do a repair install, will it alter any programs or just windows files?

• Alan W

It will just repair Windows files.

• Tom C

Thanks Alan. Sorry for late reply, have been out of town. Appreciate your help