How can I stop my Facebook Status being shared beyond my named friends?

Deb K July 12, 2014

Twice in the last week friends have shared my personal status with their own friends (no idea why! I’m not that interesting) but the point is that I shared the status with my friends and did not appreciate them be shared with other’s friends.
I’m happy to have any links, pictures etc shared, just not my personal status. How do I stop that from happening? Ta :-)

1. Joanna O

Instead of using a Facebook status to inform your friends of a private matter you might consider sending them a private message instead and tell them it is a private matter.

If you click the inbox symbol at the top of the page (the two chat bubbles) you can "Send a New Message". If you do so you can add more than one person to receive your message and thereby handpick who will see it.

Though this prevents people from sharing they can still invite other people to the conversation, but it won't be shared so easily with all their friends and you will then know exactly who saw it. Also my money is on not many people would add new people to the conversation (some might not even know they can or how).

If you have more private matters you wish to share with the same group of people just write it in the same conversation. You don't have to make a new each time and you can also add new people if you wish ;)

2. Deb Kirby

I have written something personal and have shared it with my friends only, but in both cases, friends have shared my personal written status with their own friends. I have then had to ask them to remove the status, because if did only want my friends to see what I had written.
    I think this (sharing someone's personal status) must be new. I am an experienced user of FB and have never had this happen until now.
    Any suggestions to stop it?

3. Ben S

When you post a status, who are you sharing it with? Is it viewable by the Public, Friends of Friends, or just your friends? You can control who sees your stuff. What icon is available below your posts? A world icon means it's Public.