How can I shut down Internet Explorer in Windows 8.1?

Anonymous March 24, 2014

BACKGROUND INFO —— I am using wireless Windows 8.1 on my touch screen laptop and instead of going to my “desktop” then launch the internet I would like to use the “Windows Internet” link on my “start” page. I prefer the start page link because I get “full screen” of web site instead of having all the ‘stuff’ taking up lines (ie search bar; fav. bar; address bar; etc) + all the ‘stuff’ on the bottom of the screen. Everything automatically disappears!

MY PROBLEM —- I cannot figure out how to log off of the internet!!!!! I thought that by (using the touch screen method – ‘pushing the page down and off the screen) it was closing the window, the way it closes when you use the X (when you open the ‘net’ using the other method) BUT IT DOESN’T!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP —- when I scrolled thru the questions on this site for a solution, all of the answers are closing down everything, including actually logging off the computer completely.
All I want is to log off and close my internet connection and sites I have open. I don’t want to turn off my computer, I have other programs I need to run……….

Thanks in advance.
Sue

if you open task manager, you should see IE process, you can simply ended from there.

If Internet Explorer is the program currently running full-screen or otherwise has the focus, just press Alt-F4 to close it.