How can I I share a single Google account wit multiple users but prevent the password from being changed.

December 22, 2013

Hi,

I want to share a common Google account with multiple users, but want to restrict password change activity. Is it by any way possible?

Or is there any other way to share a document with multiple users (sharing the document with multiple users via Google Drive is not possible at the moment).
Thanks.

I THINK that it may be possible to prevent other people from changing the password by activating two-factor authentication. When the user tries to change the password, they will need to enter a code which they received as a text message on their mobile phone. Since that mobile phone is yours, they will not be able to do so.

That said, that's a really bad idea. As explained in the first article Hovsep linked to, the account is meant for one person, and trying to get around the limitations is asking for trouble. You say sharing via Google Drive is not possible, but you don't explain why. You should be able to share the document from within Google Docs (whether you use Drive or not is immaterial). In fact, you can even share with people who don't have GMail if you set up sharing by link alone, as I've done on a number of ocassions. It works brilliantly.

• Pam

Hi Oron J

Two factor authentication doesnt work- it informs you when your password is changed but not during the process. And if someone changes the recovery mobile no / email ...you lose control.

I want to share a read only doc with multiple users ( 400-500). Don't want it to be public though
      I have already tried following ways:
      1. Create a google group - share the doc with the group - where sharing is - anyone having link can access
      2. Create a google group - share the doc with the group - where sharing is - private -need google login to access
      in both cases my doc is shared with read only access ( download is also prevented)
      a. issue with first option is: anyone having link can embed it anywhere - so all my other security settings fail
      b. issue with second option: the doc owner has to explicitly grant permission everytime someone requests it. ( time consuming )
      I hope, this explains my issue fairly well. I am looking for a better solution to do this.

Thanks for your views and help :)

~Pam !

• Oron J

Thanks for the clarification Pam, that does sound like a difficult one! If the document is static, you could upload it to a file sharing site such as minus.com, make it private and circulate the password. However, with such a large number of users, you would essentially have the same problem as with the link access (option 1 in your list). Namely, that it's enough that one of those people pass the password onto a third party for the system to collapse.

Perhaps the solution is to use option 2, and to set up a Google form where everyone can request access and provide their GMail address. You could then copy the addresses en-masse, which will reduce the amount of work involved, although it wouldn't eliminate it (ultimately, if you want to have proper control over your document, I don't think there's any way of avoiding having to deal with each individual).
      Good luck!

Share an account among users
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/33330?hl=en

Using Google Groups as a collaborative inbox
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/167430

share a document with multiple users, Real-time collaboration is available only when you and your collaborators are online
    https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494891?hl=en

Google Drive; Creating a Team File Share
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iGdJWcucWwm7um6Tc5VZjxiVClg7K8G0FD60R-lAItg/edit?pli=1

• Pam

Thanks alot for the repsonse.
      I will check these links.

~Pam