Why can I only share files from one Windows 8 PC to a second one, but not the other way around?

Anonymous September 30, 2014

We have set up a Home group in Windows 8 – one desktop and one PC on a Mac (via Parallels). We can see both computers in the Home group but we can only access files from one PC. The clocks are synchronized, files are shared on both PCcs, set to manual in advanced settings. We have shut down both PCs and deleted the home groups several times. From the Mac I can see the shared files on the desktop but not the other way around, any ideas?

Check your network settings on your VM. If you have it set up so Parallels is using NAT for its network connection, HomeGroup may not work correctly. Try setting it to Bridged mode instead to see if that solves it for you.

I had a similar issue using VirtualBox. The host machine could access it via the network but other machines on the network couldn't until I switched it to a bridged connection.