Can I run Windows 8 in VirtualBox on an Intel Core i7 laptop?

Rebecca Z March 24, 2014

When Windows 8 was in preview release, I wanted to run it in VirtualBox on my Windows 7 32-bit computer, except it said that I did not have visualization support. Last year, my dad got me a 64-bit laptop with an Intel Core i7 vPro processor. I read online that the the processor has vt-x support. I also read that in order to run it, I need Windows 8 Pro or Enterprise, except I have the regular version of Windows 8. Although I only have the regular version, would I be able to run Windows 8 or higher in VirtualBox now?

The ability to run in Virtual Box depends (mostly) on the capabilities of the processor (though as Bruce points out, they need to be enabled in order to work!). Most operating systems will run in Virtual Box, and it certainly makes no difference to Virtual Box which variant of Windows 8 you are using (they are all the same system, and the only difference is that the Pro & Enterprise versions have some extra features).

3. Jeff F

You do not need any special version of Windows. All you need is a hypervisor such as Virtual box or VMware Player, a processor that supports virtualization and your guest operating system image. Why don't you try it for yourself and find out? You'll have an answer for yourself in just a few minutes. If you run into any problems, we'd be happy to help. I've posted some useful links below to get you started.

How To Use VirtualBox : User’s Guide
    What Is a Virtual Machine? [MakeUseOf Explains]

The short answer is Yes. You just need to ensure that the virtualization extensions are enabled in BIOS/UEFI as well as on the Processor tab in VirtualBox.