Can I run 2 monitors on my system if I have 2 video ports on my computer?

Spud October 14, 2014

So I’ve got two ports in the back of my tower – one VGA and one DVI.  Can I run two monitors because of that?  If so, how?

Chances are it'll work - probably "out of the box", so plug in the second monitor and see what happens! You may need to press [Windows key]+[P] and choose "duplicate" or "extend" to set up the second screen, but that's about it.

On the other handd, as DalSan said, without knowing the operating system and graphics card you're using, we can't give you any assurance that it will definitely work.

Hello, yes you can. Does your computer have a discreet or incorporated graphics card? You can do it through windows itself or any software that came with your graphics card. It is just a matter of connecting both monitors and select which one is number 1 and number 2. Through windows you could extend the image so that it covers both monitors at same time. You could also duplicate the image on both monitors.

To make it easier, have a look at this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/259794/how_to_set_up_multiple_monitors_in_windows_8.html

• Doc

"Discrete," not "discreet." "Discreet" means "showing discretion, being circumspect, being respectful."

Thank you for your contribution

3. DalSan M

We would need the computer brand and model, operating system, and graphics card information in order to tell whether your computer supports dual monitor capabilities or not, and what may be necessary to enable it.