How can I rip a DVD so that it behaves like a DVD, rather than a video file?

Diana P May 12, 2014

I am seeking info on how to rip a DVD and it’s menu functionality to private cloud storage so it can be streamed. Specifically I have the ability to do the rip portion of the job, but I am seeking a deeper insight into how to do it in a manner that would have the ripped contents behave like a DVD would, with its menus and such.

My goal is to rip DVDs and upload them to a person’s cloud storage so they can be streamed remotely from any type of device: iOS, Android, Windows and so on. What I want to do is start a home business for myself so I can help people make their DVD collections portable.

I have Any DVD Clone as the ripper I have chosen but is there something I need to set in that program that would make the rip be identical to a live DVD? If not available in the settings or options is there a different or better ripping program I should consider? And what would I need to tell people for playback on their devices?

Also here it states that it is illegal to make digital copies to be playable on hard drives, tablets, phones, and other devices. The only services that can be used for having a legal digital copy on such devices are "UltraViolet" or legal streaming services like Netflix and Vudu. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436730/new-ruling-confirms-copying-dvds-is-illegal

2. Diana P

Hello,

I have got the backing up part of the problem licked/down to a science. I found a program called DVD Shrink which literally backs up a disc as it is with the menus intact. I have confirmed in part that VLC Media Player will play the files including behaving like a "live" DVD with functional menus. The new hurdle I am trying to figure out is how to either find a proper cloud location to upload them to or how to get VLC to function with the link from DropBox. I have tried both just copying the link from my browser and pasting it into the proper place in VLC and also getting a "share" link from DropBox and using that but neither functions in VLC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Dalsan M

You are missing the point. Any software that decrypts or circumvents the copyright protections, which are found on almost all purchased DVDs from any store, is illegal. It is also illegal to download such software. Once you use the software to copy a DVD, you are breaking several more laws. Then to offer such illegal acts and content to anyone, especially to make a profit for the services, brings much more laws being broken. No matter how you look at it, many laws would be and are being broken. The only legal way to backup a DVD is to directly copy the files from the disc onto your storage device (hard drive). Doing so is legal, but completely useless as you have to decrypt the files in order to view the content, which is illegal per the Digital Millennium Copyright Acts (DMCA).

There isn't any other way around it than to pay the right entities the proper fees that allow you to perform such actions and services, which is highly unlikely to generate any profits for a single person operation. It takes thousands of dollars to keep up with the fees each year, and unless you can create a large enough user base to support it, it would only cost you to legally do the services for others.

Also, broadcasting this over the internet, especially on such a highly viewed website and forum, would only bring attention to yourself for investigation. Should you be found to have illegal copies with the intent to distribute for profit, you are only going to be charged with many counts of illegal activities. I would stop now while you are ahead as this only looks to be a bad situation getting worse.

• Dalsan M

Also, purchasing a DVD does not mean you own the DVD, just a license to personally view the content. If you view the FBI and other warnings about copying or publicly broadcasting the contents of the DVD, it will state that it is illegal without expressed written permission from all parties that own the content to do so.

More information can be found here: http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2013/03/legal-to-burn-copies-of-dvds-that-you-own.html

An older article, but still applies today as far as legality regarding DVD copying software and creating a copy of purchased DVDs: http://www.dailytech.com/US+Court+Rules+Consumers+Never+Have+the+Right+to+Copy+DVD+Movies/article15969.htm

3. Diana P

Thank you all for your answers they have all been useful. I didn't realize the menus couldn't be recreated this is why I am doing my research first. As for the copyright legalities - it is legal for a person to make a back up copy so who am I to ask if the disc belongs to the person bringing it to me or what they intend to do with the rip I post for them. I have legitimate software to do a service and I am providing a service. The only money I am getting is for the service I am providing not for any content I am giving and in the grand scheme of life and the world at large I am small potatoes that no one would be interested in.

• Bruce E

It is only legal to make backup copies if you are not circumventing any copyright protections on the disc. In the case of most DVD and Blu-ray discs, to make a copy you need to remove the copyright protections which is a criminal act. It does not matter if you are paid for it or not. The simple act of making the copy is a crime and each offense (every copy of every disc you make) is punishable by up to $250,000 and/or 5 years in prison. So if you have 10 "clients" and you make a single copy of a different movie for each one of them, you could be charged with 10 counts and end up having to pay $2.5 million in fines (plus legal fees & court costs) as well as getting 50 years in prison. You need to seriously ask yourself one question. Is it worth it?

The entire portion of your comment of asking if the disc belongs to them or what they will do with the rip is completely irrelevant.

And if you are planning on advertising this service to grow your business, you will only be attracting the attention of the MPAA and making yourself a bigger target for them.

Anything you do, including downloading software that circumvents/breaks the copyright encryption, is illegal in almost all countries. If there were any investigations and legal actions taken that find illegal copies of DVD content, you would be charged per copy, plus you could be charged with the intent of distributing the illegal videos. This could amount to millions of dollars (USD) and many years of jail time as punishment. I would certainly not make a business out of any illegal activity.

The only legal backup you can perform is one that does not break or circumvent the encryption, but then you would not be able to view the videos, so it would be pointless. Once you start sharing any copyrighted material, especially for profit, you get into legal issues unless you have expressed written consent by each entity that the copyrighted material belongs to. There are fees involved with sharing content in the way you are wanting to do, which makes it more difficult to make profits as the costs may be steep and may need to be paid for before being allowed to share the content.

There are plenty of DVD copying/backup software you can find to "shrink" the "DVD", all the while keeping the menus and content you wish (and removing others that you don't want). Although these programs are available, even the ones that you must pay for, they are (in most countries) illegal per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Most people do not get prosecuted for downloading illegal content, however, it is when the downloads are shared when investigations and prosecutions occur. Although the chances can be slim for being caught, once caught, the fines can be very high and the chance for imprisonment is there. Doing what you are suggesting, which is sharing illegal videos to potential millions of users, would make the chance of being prosecuted extremely high.

Jan makes excellent points. The critical one is that what you are proposing is entirely illegal. Copying the DVD is a breach of copyright law (if the material is not in the public domain), and breaking the copy protection (which would be necessary as the vast majority of commercial DVDs are copy protected) breaches the US European Digital Millennium Copyright Acts, which makes it a crime, reather than just a civil offense like breaching copyright. If you showed up in front of a judge, having been shown that you broke these laws and facilitated the same for other people, only for money, I don't think you would get much leniancy...

Jan F is right if you rip dvd to video you remove the menu, other you need DVD Decrypter

In order to keep the menu of a DVD you either have to make a one-to-one copy into an ISO file which is not suited for streaming duo to it's format and size (the user would have to download the full 4+ GB of data before watching) or you have to make a compressed copy to the VOB format which could be transcoded into a stream but then loses it's menu capabilities.

In addition to that it doesn't really sound like a smart idea making a business out of something that you don't really know how to do and in most cases, states and situations is illegal anyway.

By US law and most European laws it is illegal to make a "backup copy" if it requires you to circumvent copy protection or other forms of DRM of the source media (something AnyDVD does by default).

• Diana P

The discussion about the copyright protection issue is interesting on a couple of levels. First I have always heard that by law a person is entitled to make an emergency back up copy of a disc. Second and this is the most interesting part - Walmart is doing this very same thing. Walmart has purchased VuDu to offer a disc to digital or (DVD to digital) service to customers. Here's two articles:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401511,00.asp

http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html

And that doesn't even give a person the ability to have the content where they can bring it down from a cloud to a local machine if a person wants.

So who am I to argue with Walmart? I would think the MPAA folks would have more of an interest in going after Walmart to stop them than little me.

As for the not knowing how to do it I've been working on this all weekend using Any DVD Clone and I think I've got it. Now I just need to test out the remote access ability which I think I'll mess with tonight. I'll post my results when I get them.

• Bruce E

Flixter, UltraViolet, Vudu, etc all pay fees to the copyright holders for what they are doing with regard to the DVD to digital services. If you are not doing the same, you may become a target for the MPAA.

• Jan F

As Bruce said all these services, companies or whatever pay fees to the copyright holder. If you read Vudus FAQ you will see the fine line stating:
      "The list of movies available for Disc-to-Digital conversion is comprised of titles that have been legally cleared for digital distribution from studios participating in the UltraViolet program. We expect the number of titles available for Disc-to-Digital conversion to grow over time."

I don't have any idea what costs we are talking about in terms of streaming on demand for movies especially since there is a multitude of rights holders – for a web radio it's either a fixed payment like $500 per month per 1000 listeners plus 10-15% of your revenue or a "on the go" approach like $0.1 per song per listener.

Even if you got that going you are missing the fine print:
      YOU got the license, YOU are allowed to offer these files online via YOUR service.
      If you upload them to another persons Dropbox account they will get a nice DMCA notice as they DON'T have the permission of the copyright holder to store these files in their Dropbox. And it will be the same for any other personal and/or free cloud storage. You can't just upload them randomly to some internet storage as they could technically and illegally be shared with other people from there.

Services like Vudu build their own infrastructure where the files are stored, secured and offered to customers.