How can I restore a Windows XP backup to a Windows 7 computer?

Anonymous March 14, 2014

I have a Seagate external hard drive and recently transferred the contents of my old computer to this drive in order to transfer them to my new computer. When I try to access the files from the external hard drive all I get are dat files e.g. IMG0002 which I cannot open. I tried downloading a free file viewer in the hopes that I could view files but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions. The old computer ran Windows XP and this new one runs Windows 7. Thank you.

can't open .dat files (windows 7) this file is a back up for my old desktop that has a maleware problem. how do i find out what program created file?
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/cant-open-dat-files-windows-7-this-file-is-a-back/48abc2e0-6acf-427d-9be7-2afc3b06890e

It sounds like you did a backup of the Windows XP computer using Microsoft's backup utility. To restore it under Windows 7, you need to download an update from Microsoft to have a compatible utility to restore those backups. It also works for backups made by Windows Vista.