How can I restore my Windows computer after shutting it off during an update?

Anonymous June 12, 2014

I foolishly switched off computer during updates and it now says “failure to configure Windows update. Reverting changes. Do not switch off computer” but I don’t think it’s connected to the Internet and has been showing the same screen for about an hour now. Has anyone any clue what I should do, please? Thanks.

Thanks guys for your input, really appreciate it. it has now started and I'm currently letting it check through everything and will then do the upgrades. So stupid and certainly will never do it again...I'm on windows 8 and its only a month old so not too much stuff on it, thankfully!

thanks for your feedback, if you would like to close the thread as solved then from your makeuseof account select the best answer.

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error when you try to install Windows updates
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

which version of windows you have?

The system should be using the restore point it created prior to applying the updates to revert the system to its previous state. In some cases, this can take a couple of hours depending on the machine configuration, what Windows software is currently installed on it, what components were in the process of being updated, where the process was interrupted, and more. When it is done making changes, it will restart the system again to make the downgraded components are being used again. During this entire process, it does not need to have an Internet connection.

If the system cannot restart properly after it completes the reversion process, you will need to boot from a recovery disc. (You do have one for this system, right?) Using the recovery disc, you should be able to resolve any startup issues the machine may have.

Once the system is back in working order, you should make sure you are connected to the Internet and install all of the latest updates for the machine. Please don't interrupt it this time.