How can I restore Ubuntu back to health on my Chromebook?

Connor W September 4, 2014

I install Ubuntu on my Chromebook using the method described in this video it worked great for two months. Then I tried to get GIMP through the Software Center, but it said that I couldn’t, because I would have to remove a “file that was essential to my system”. I then installed it with the terminal and it took a long time and then it removed the Software Center and who knows what else and it didn’t work. I went out of Ubuntu and tried to go back in later using “sudo startunity” as described in the video and it automatically closed.

How do I get back into Ubuntu or at least get the remaining files off of it? Please help, I have very little programming and Linux experience so I am mostly clueless about what to do.

1. Connor W

How do I get my files from my /home partition, that didn't make to much sense to me. Would I put a "live linux distro" USB into my Chromebook and access the files or just reinstall like that video says and it will ask me if it wants to overwrite the files that are hiding in my disk?

2. dragonmouth

Do a fresh install of Ubuntu.

• Jeff F

Sadly, unless you have another PC to which you can transfer your files (or can you boot into Chrome OS), your easiest way forward is to do a new install. Alternatively, you may be able to access and transfer your files using a live linux distro running in RAM on a USB drive (ie. Crunchbang, Lubuntu, SystemRescueCD, etc.

• dragonmouth

"unless you have another PC to which you can transfer your files "
      I regularly backup the files in my /home partition to an external drive. If I re-install a distro or install a new one, I just dump the backed up files into the new /home.

Most modern distros offer a user the option to save or re-format the /home partition. When that question comes up during an install, just answer "Do not overwrite /home."

• Bruce E

With many distros, the default partitioning of a disk may not have a separate /home partition, so there may not be an option to save it when reinstalling.

The best option in this case is to create a bootable USB to bring up the system, mount its internal drive and save all user data files to an external drive before reformatting the system and reinstalling the OS.

• Connor W

How would I create a bootable USB?