How can I restore a Linux partition I lost in formatting a hard drive?

Anonymous April 14, 2014

Sir , I partitioned my hard disk drive (200GB) into 4 parts and installed Ubnutu in the second (40gb) partition,  then installed XP (40gb) in the first partition. A few days later I formatted my hard drive and installed XP, but found I had only 160GB . My 40gb (Ubuntu) was lost . How can I get it back? Help me please.

1. James S

From the description it sounds like you have already erased AND overwrote it. I think it's lost.

You could try EASEUS Partition Recovery, which is a free download.

3. dragonmouth

Whenever multi-booting with Windows and any other O/S, Windows MUST be installed first because it is very proprietary and will overwrite any pre-existing boot record.

I would re-format the hard drive again and partition it any way you want. Then install Windows into one partition, then install Ubuntu into another partition. Ubuntu will recognize Windows and create a boot record with an entry for each O/S.