Can I resize a Macintosh partition in Yosemite?

Kelly November 10, 2014

I downloaded OS X Yosemite the other night. It wouldn’t let me use the Macintosh Hard Drive as my startup disk so I partitioned space for Macintosh HD 2 and downloaded Yosemite on that.

I didn’t partition enough space to transfer all of my files from Macintosh HD over to HD2, so all of my music is still on the Macintosh HD, but I want it on Macintosh HD 2.

I want to delete the Macintosh HD (or merge them?) but I don’t want to delete my music. Is there anything I can do? I have an external hard drive if that helps.

1. Sarah

Resizing can possible but not moving the partition. Yosemite partition can only be moved with the help of the third party utility. And a better solution is to back up the data, then delete the partition, recreate it and reinstall it.

2. Jan F.

Yosemite usually is an upgrade installation which will replace your current OS X version. Therefor I am a bit puzzled that you were unable to install it on "Macintosh HD" but on a newly created partition "Macintosh HD 2".

What was your previous OS X version?
    What partitions are on your hard drive now and what do they contain?
    Did Yosemite migrate your user account, data and settings or was it a "fresh" installation?

Technically you cannot merge partitions, you can only delete one and then resize the other to take it's space. But my understanding is that this is not an option for you right away.
    You could transfer your music to the external disk, then delete the "Macintosh HD" partition and finally resize the "Macintosh HD 2" using the free space you gained from the deleted one.

However, without knowing more about your current situation I suggest not to do so before you can confirm all your data is either on the external drive or on the "Macintosh HD 2".

OS X Yosemite, Core Storage, and partition woes.
    http://awesometoast.com/yosemite-core-storage-and-partition-woes/