Can I repair my Windows XP computer by replacing the hard drive?

John War Bonnett October 18, 2014

I think my computer might be crashing. It makes noises, slow, freezes and loses pages. I’ve got Windows xp. Can I change the hard drive ratehr than getting a whole new computer?

1. Gabriel

Noises maybe is relative with your motherboard. You'd better to check your hard disk and memory stick. HDTune can help to check if the disk is corrupted.

Suggest you to find the professional technician.
    To avoid the data loss, suggest you to firstly backup or clone your partitions with EaseUS Todo Backup

Any blue screens? if yes, what are the error code/codes?

3. John

Can't even install new versions

what is happening? error messages? which new versions?

if the serial is linked to the hard drive then you have to purchase a new license, as Oron suggested you can clone the windows xp to new hard drive.

• Doc

Windows does not "link serial to hard drives." Windows uses several pieces of hardware to validate activation, and the HD's volume ID is only one of them; the amount of memory, the CPU, and the video card are others, and you can change two, possibly three of them and still have Windows activated.

• Doc

"It makes noises, slow, freezes and loses pages." Not sure what the last one means, but noises, slowing, and freezes sounds like a hardware problem, possibly cooling fans wearing out or the hard drive making clicks and noises because it's about to die. While you can certainly clone your HD to a new one, I don't recommend *anyone* using Windows XP after Microsoft announced the end of patching last April.

If your hard drive is physically faulty, then yes, you can replace it, but there are a few things to note:
    - You will need to reinstall Windows and all your applications, or "clone" your hard drive to the new one, in which case:
    - The software may be at fault. You may have corrupt software (or data, settings etc) which are causing the problem. If this is the case, replacing the drive won't help.
    - Windows XP has not been supported by Microsoft for some time now, and it is getting more and more difficult both to keep it secure and to find up to date applications for it (like web browsers). If you go to the expense and effort of replacing your hard drive, perhaps you should consider installing a newer version of Windows, or even getting a new computer!