How can I repair a corrupt RAR file?

Ben68collins June 11, 2014

Can you suggest to me please how to fix currupt RAR files? I´ve download a RAR file and finally I got a message that my RAR file is currupt.. is there a tool to fix it?
Can someone help me with this?

1. JimLo

There are lots of programs that allow you to recover corrupted rar files. [Ed: recommendation redacted due to poor WOT rating]

You can try this:
    1)Open the WinRAR application. Click on "File" and then "Open Archive" and browse to the damaged RAR file.
    2)Press "Alt" + "R" on your keyboard. This will bring up the WinRAR repair dialog screen.
    3)Designate an easy-to-find location in the "Folder to put the repaired archive" box.
    4)Check the box that says, "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR."
    5)Press the "OK" button. Once it has finished repairing, a new archive will be built and placed in the location you designated.

2. Alyce C

Try this to get some of your data back:
    -Right click on your RAR file
    -select extract to specified folder & tick on keep broken files in the miscellaneous option on left bottom corner and extract. You will get some of your files back which are not fully corrupted.

Generally speaking , it's much better to re-download the file. While it may be possible to repair a RAR file to the point where some information can be extracted, you are very unlikely to be able to restore the whole file, since the RAR format compresses the contents by removing redundant information - that very same information that could be used to reconstruct corrupt or missing data in uncompressed files!

If you downloaded the file and you got the error, you would have to re-download the file. No matter what you try, most likely they will not fix the issue.

well it can be checksum error, so you have to redownload with a downloader perhaps.

you can try to unzip with 7zip
    http://www.7-zip.org/

if you install winrar and try to extract there is an option(Keep broken files) to check

also if you open winrar and hit ALT+R there is repair option