How can I remove Google Hangouts which was preinstalled on my Android phone?

Maria B April 23, 2014

The Google Hangouts app is causing an issue with a messaging app I use. I was on the phone with an AT&T’s tech person many times today trying to figure that out. She mentioned that the app can be uninstalled. I tried to do this but found out that it was pre-installed onto my phone and therefore cannot initially be uninstalled because it is a system app.

I thought I would ask the gurus here on MakeUseOf to see if anyone else is having the same issue on their Android phone… so, is there a workaround to uninstall this app?

Thank you,
Maria Bergheim

1. Ben S

Maria,

As Hangouts is a Google system app, it cannot be uninstalled without rooting your phone, unfortunately. If this isn't something that you'd like to do, would disabling Hangouts' SMS integration prove useful?

You could also try disabling the app in your app list; check out how to do that right here.

I hope one of these options helps you! Let me know if you have any other questions or can explain more.