How can I remove the encryption from my iTunes backups?

Anonymous May 15, 2014

My iPhone has encrypted the last back-up I did. I have tried all my passwords but they don’t work. I didn’t encrypt it and now I want to back up my files again because my iPhone is dying but I can’t because I can’t take the encryption/password off the back up in iTunes. What can I do?
I looked for answers online but none of them have worked so far.

maybe your account name that you set on iphone?

You must have activated encryption at some point, probably unintentionally and it is probably going to be some password or code you used at some place at some point. Most often when people accidentally activated encryption they enter their Apple ID password, lock code of the iPhone or something like that.

The only other option it could have gotten activated is if you are using a corporate Exchange account and the administrator has pushed a profile to your device that sets encryption.

I read of a work-around somewhere which required your phone to be jailbroken. Other then that the only option is to delete all previous backups, restore your phone and start over.

The problem simply is that the encryption option is stored on both, iTunes on your computer and the iPhone itself, in it's keystone file. And without jailbreak you simply don't have access to that file to do whatever manipulation would be necessary.

As pointed out in the Apple KB:
    "...If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and forget your password, you can't restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverableā€¦. you must perform a full software restore and choose set up as a new device when iTunes prompts you to select the backup from which to restore."
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946