How can I remote control an Android tablet from a Windows PC?

February 4, 2014

Looking to have access to a tablet that I bought for my stepmom who is in a nursing home in another state. Tablet is running Jelly Bean 4.1 and a I have a few PC’s running Vista pro, Win 7 Pro and XP pro and a MAC running Tiger OS X. Is there something I can do in Microsoft or another app where I am NOT paying a fee every month like Go to my PC charges?

1. Akshata

MoboRobo (free) and AirDroid (freemium) are two good alternatives that you can try. Check out these MakeUseOf posts for more information:

1. MakeUseOf post on MoboRobo
    2. MakeUseOf post on Airdroid

2. Kelly G

Use Bomgar to remote control Android phones and tablets made by Samsung. The Bomgar Remote Support Client App for Samsung, available on Google Play, enables full screen sharing and remote control of Samsung devices running Android 2.3 and above.

I'd go with TeamViewer. It is free for non-commercial use and works with Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

• Dalsan M

The app needed is QuickSupport for TeamViewer instead of the regular TeamViewer app. A license may need to be purchased in order to use the app, though.

Paw Server for Android may be what you are looking for because you want free instead of paying for any fees. It is available in the Play Store.

• Oron J

TeamViewer in my opinion is not great for controlling Android. Really clumsy. Don't get me wrong - it's my favourite remote-access software, but the Android version sucks.

• Bruce E

@Dalsan: There are no fees associated with any of the TeamViewer tools provided it is being used non-commercially. So in OP's case, it can be used free of charge since he is simply supporting another family member and not providing a paid service.

@Oron: I have not needed to access Android or iOS devices with this but since I knew it works on those platforms and it has performed flawlessly for me on all of the others, I thought I would suggest it. To me, it seems that no matter what is used to control an Android or iOS device from a computer would end up being clumsy. I also like to keep my toolset to the minimum required and since I primarily support desktop and laptop computers for my family (only 3 have iOS or Android devices at all), putting up with all but the worst issues with RC software on them isn't a big consideration for me if I ever need to do it, and as a result I have not looked for any other RC solutions for them.