How can I regain access to my Yahoo account when I can’t answer the security questions?

Anonymous May 18, 2014

I can’t access my Yahoo account because I forgot the security question answers I used when I made my ID. As soon as I enter my ID and password, I’m asked to enter my oldest cousin’s name – which I do not know. What can I do?

There are a number of recovery options in Yahoo, but I am mystified. How can you not know your oldest cousin's name if you used that as a security question in the first place? Is it that you have forgotten his/her name (seems unlikely), or that you never used that as a security question?

If it was never one of your security questions, then this suggests that your account was hacked.

• In that case:
      In the logon screen click "I cannot access my account" and on the next screen "I think my account may have been compromised", then click [Next] and follow the instructions on the screen.
    • Otherwise, choose "I have a problem with my password", click [Next] and type your email address, and then choose one of the other recovery options (e.g. send text message, or send an email) and use that instead.