How can I regain access to my Hotmail account?
Question by Anonymous /

I have not been able to access my Hotmail account for quite some time now. I now need to gain access to it for a personal issue. I have the password for it and I have multiple passwords I can provide as well as who I’ve contacted what sites I’ve signed up for who my contacts are etc. However, I still cannot gain access to my account. It says:

“It seems someone else maybe accessing your account, to ensure only you access it we need you to verify some things “

So I get to email options, one I have access to so I can change my password on the account I can’t access. I change my password to the account but then it still wants me to verify with another email account I no longer remember or use. I’ve filled out the questionnaire but still can’t gain access to it. I’ve chatted with lots of people and nothing comes of it except oh talk to this department or sorry you’re out of luck. I made this email account when I was very young and I need to gain access to it for a criminal court case, for evidence against a sexual abusive predator.

How can I gain access to my email account? I have it on a old iPod but can’t gain access to it –  only see some of the old emails. I wanted to upgrade it to a premium account because at this point I do not care about the cost I just care about protecting others from what’s happened to me, and this is the only evidence I have.

• Susendeep D

Usually,you can try to recover your account from the below link –

https://account.live.com/acsr

Also,have a look at below article –

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/recover-hacked-microsoft-account-prevent-future-hacks/

• Jan F

1. You should always keep the recovery option (usually another email address) updated.
    2. Hotmail is no longer “just a free email account”. It is your Microsoft Identity everything Microsoft is bound to, from your Hotmail emails all the way to purchases, payment options, even Windows Login if bound to a Microsoft ID. That’s why they require an extensive amount of information to help you recover it and you should keep this information updated, remembered and secure.

Full name, date of birth, postal address, secret questions & answers, emergency/recover email address, last time you successfully logged on, samples/information of emails, contacts and files stored on that account, at best even service provider and IP addresses used to access it are relevant.

If I understand the OP correct you attempted to recover the account by contacting (by phone?) Microsoft and they told you there is nothing they can do. That makes me believe that Orons suggestion is pretty much the final option and not guaranteed to succeed either.

Most importantly, always keep an offline copy of your emails and include it in your backups. The Terms of Services from Microsoft (as well as others) are pretty clear about this.

“4.4 Services cancellation
    …we will delete information or Content associated with your Microsoft account or will otherwise disassociate it from you and your Microsoft account. We are under no obligation to return Content to you.”

“6. Services disruptions and backup
    …Microsoft isn’t liable for any disruption or loss you may suffer as a result. You should regularly backup the Content that you store on the Services”

• Oron J

It’s difficult to suggest specific actions without seeing a lot more details, but seeing the importance of the case, I would suggest you get a lawyer to contact Microsoft on your behalf. It shouldn’t be a lot of work for them, and as long as you can prove your identity (which it sounds like you can do quite easily), it will cut through a lot of the c**p that you’re experiencing.