How can I regain access to the administrator account on my Macbook Pro?

Anonymous July 11, 2014

I have a Macbook Pro and when I started my computer I made an administrator account.  My problem now is that I have not been able to change anything in it because it always asks me for the password.  For example, when I tried getting Netflix online I needed to download Silverlight but in order to download it I needed to log into the account but couldn’t because I didn’t have the password.
I’ve looked and searched so much for solutions so I wouldn’t have to take it down to an Apple Store.  I’ve seen that you can log out type a wrong answer 3 times and it offers to change the password with the Apple ID but that doesn’t work because in my settings the setting for restoring the password with an Apple ID in order to change it I would need my administrator account, which would bring me back to the main problem.

To the previous suggestion:
    Keep in mind that the single-user mode gives you full root access to the system. So make sure that you really just input the commands mentioned and double-check before executing the 'rm' command.

Another option is to boot into the Recovery HD of Lion:
    restart the Mac and hold down Command + R
    once booted from the Recovery HD select Utilities > Terminal
    in the Terminal type "resetpassword"

You will then be guided through the process of resetting a users password. Once done just click the Apple logo in the top left and select restart.

I also want to note that if you reset the password of a user you will lose all Keychain items (stores passwords, logins, etc.).

How to quickly restore a missing admin account in OS X
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-quickly-restore-a-missing-admin-account-in-os-x/