How can I reformat my external drive with the PC after it had been reformatted by my Satelite receiver?

Anonymous August 16, 2014

I used my WD Passport HD to back up my DVR recordings on my Dish receiver before it got replaced. There was nothing on the Passport which was formatted with the WD Smartware, but was reformatted with the Dish formatting needed to save the DVR media recordings. Now when I try to backup my laptop with the Passport, it is not recognized at all. I cannot format it as a writable drive because the Passport is not even recognized on an external drive. I can connect the Passport to Dish and it reads my DVR recordings fine. How can I get the Passport to be recognized on a PC again? I am fine losing whatever DVR recordings are saved.

1. Supersoph W

Hey there,

I think you will find this link helpful:
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3865
    You just need to select he OS that you are using and then you will get instructions how to format and partition your WD My Passport.

I hope this helps you

Run Windows Disk Management (if you are using Windows Vista or later, you can search for it by this name; if using XP, type compmgmt.msc in the Run menu).
    The bottom half of the window shows you physical drives (as distinct from "drive letters" as seen in "My Computer" etc). Disk 0 is usually your system drive, and if you have any other internal drives they will be listed below it. Your WD drive should be listed below that (but above DVD drives etc, if you have any). Is it there?
    If it is not shown, there's a problem in the physical (hardware) communication between the computer and the hard drive - perhaps your PC's USB drive does not produce enough power to power it.
    If it is listed, the partitions that make up the drive will be shown on the right. You may see "RAW" (the PC does not know what to make of the drive), "Unknown Partition" (Windows does not recognise the partition type) or something else. At any rate, you should be able to right-click on that area and delete the existing partition if any ("Delete Volume"). Now right click again and create a new partition.
    You will now need to format the partition. If you ONLY want to use the drive with your PC, choose to format it as NTFS. Otherwise, choose the FAT32 format which is recognised by most devices (though perhaps not by your DVR, by the sound of it).

Check If EaseUs Partition Master can detect the WD Passport
    http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html