How can I recover an MS Project 2010 file which had been overwritten?

Donnycage June 16, 2014

Hi all,

I am trying to recover a microsoft project 2010 file that I spent around 4 hours work on, that was overwritten by an older version of the file. It happened on a school laptop therefor was saved on my USB drive.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks :)

If you have overwritten the file then the only way you may be able to recover it is with a data recovery program, and that, only if it has not been physically overwritten on the hard drive (saving a file with the same name does not necessarily mean it was written to the same place on the drive). There's a list of data recovery programs at http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-windows-software#toc5 and you could try any of them.

The most important precaution is to avoid writing anything on the hard drive until you have recovered the data. Shut down the computer. Install the recovery software on another computer, remove the hard drive from your own PC and connect it to the other PC (depending on the setup you may be able to connect it internally or you may need a USB-SATA bridge gizmo) and then use the software to search for your file and hopefully, to recover it. Good luck!