How can I recover my Galaxy Note 2 which is stuck in a “downloading, do not turn off” state?

Brenda October 27, 2014

My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is stuck in “downloading… do not turn off target”. I pressed volume up, power and menu all at same time and the Galaxy Note screen comes on but then returns to downloading screen… I tried removing the battery, and that did not help either. I’ve done all I can think of. Is it a goner? Anybody help!

1. brenda

model number is sph-l900. we are on Verizon towers but use page plus for carrier.

2. brenda

holding those buttons down makes the screen go to black then right back to the downloading screen. We are on Verizon network but use page plus for our service. I'm thinking about taking it to the store and asking them to reflash it for me - do you think that's the way to go?

well if it is hardware problem then they will tell you, if you need to flash with official ROM then perhaps it is better to talk with them if it is under warranty

• DalSan M

Sorry I didn't mention this in the process for getting into recovery mode. The phone has to be completely turned off before pressing the volume up + power button + home button simultaneously.

You can take it into the store to have them factory reset your phone. If it doesn't work for them, they may be able to re-flash the phone for you.

what you did so that your Samsung stuck in download mode? As Dalsan suggest it can be software problem that can be cured by flashing or upgrade/update via samsung kies if updates exist.

4. DalSan M

Your phone may not be a goner (hard-bricked), but your data, pictures, music, contacts, messages, etc., may be unrecoverable if they are not backed up. It sounds like your phone is soft-bricked, which is fairly easy to fix.

You have three choices: install a rooted custom ROM (custom version of Android including Android 4.4.4, higher than the official updates), or reinstall the official version of Android for your model phone from Samsung using Kies software, or try to get into recovery mode and hard/factory reset your phone. I would try resetting the phone first. We would need to know the phone model and cell phone service provider (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.) before giving you more information on how to perform the other suggestions.

To enter recovery mode, press volume up + power button + home button simultaneously and keep them pressed until you see the recovery mode. Use the volume keys to navigate the menu and press the power button to select an option. Using the Volume Up or Down keys, scroll to Wipe data/Factory Reset. Select Yes, delete user data. After the the deletion process completes, back out to the main menu, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and select it. Back out to the main menu and select Reboot system now, and it should boot properly. Note: you will have to set the phone up again.

If this doesn't work, let us know and give us the phone model and cell phone carrier information and we can help with installing an official ROM.