How can I recover data from an external hard drive that is not working?

Anonymous February 22, 2014

I have a Seagate external hard drive that looks like it is not working. When I plug it in the light does not come on and I do not hear the drive star up. Is there a way to extract the data form this drive

1. Gordon G

I have the same problem here and many suggest me using 3rd party data recovery software but I feel it unsafe.

2. dragonmouth

Try removing the drive from its enclosure and plugging it in directly into your PC. The enclosure interface may be bad.

If you still can't access the drive after plugging directly into the PC, you will need professional help in recovering the data.

check on another pc, if it works then there is something wrong on your pc. If Seagate external hard drive does not work on the other pc then you have to seek some company for recovery data if they are valuable for you, recovery data can be expensive.

or you can buy identical Seagate external hard drive then switch the case of your non working Seagate external hard drive with the new one.