Why can I receive email but not send using Windows 8 Mail app?

Jlink May 3, 2014

I am using Windows 8 Mail app. I can receive emails but cannot send them. The outgoing just sit in the “outbox”. I am using an IMAP account. Everybody is pointing fingers about who’s problem it is.

1. Jim

I got my outgoing mail to work no thanks to Costco, Verizon, Microsoft or RCN. My settings were no SSL on incoming with port 993 and yes SSL on outgoing and port 465. Not sure why it works when RCN says they do not use SSL and the incoming port should be 110 but it does. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

thanks for your reply, if you wish to close the thread as solved, from your makeuseof account choose the best answer.

2. Jim

That is the only error message I am getting. And it just pops up on the screen when I try to send a test message. Not sure where the "log files" are.

Are you getting any kind of error messages when you try to send email? If so, what is it (the entire message, exact wording please)? Also check the Windows Application Log for error messages related to the Mail app and the System Log for errors relating to SMTP.

• Jim

I am getting an error message..." there is a problem sending messages from xxx@abc.com right now. Check with your provider for more information"

• Bruce E

Are there any relevant messages in the log files with either more details or a specific error code we can work with? I keep forgetting how stupid Microsoft is getting with the error messages they are willing to present to end-users. I am more interested in what the SMTP server is telling the Mail app.

At least this issue has reminded me that I need to keep a packet sniffer in my kit for dealing with Win8.x network problems since Microsoft has decided they need to hide relevant information to allow toubleshooting.

4. Rajaa C

Tell who is your EMail service provider and anyone of us will help you setup your IMAP account with the proper SMTP settings. Also kindly tell the service provider and your country of residence.

Excellent comments by Bruce E and Jan F
    Troubleshoot problems with Windows Mail
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/troubleshoot-problems-with-windows-mail

As Bruce pointed out it most likely has something to do with your SMTP settings.

That being said some providers, networks or server have blocked port 25 connections from clients as it is the most common choice for spam malware to communicate with mail servers. In rare situation this can mean that you are unable to send mail as your network is blocking port 25 connection wherein your email provider/server may only have port 25 enabled. Respectively, your network may only have port 25 open for connections wherein the server requires one of the other ports.

I can see this resulting in "people pointing fingers" as both sides service is working just fine, no reason to change something. They are just not working in conjunction.

• James Link

I also thought it might be a blocked port but Verizon (my service provider) assures me they do not block any ports. It is currently set on 465. I am not sure of a better one. Do I pick a number at random?

• Bruce E

@James, you cannot simply pick a random port number for this. If a secure connection is not required, it will normally be port 25, but the service provider can change it. If it is using a secure connection (yours is using SSL), the standard port number will change based on the type of encryption being used. For SSL it is 465, for STARTTLS it is 587. The SMTP server at your provider will not accept incoming connections on any port that is not specifically allowed by your ISP.

• jim

I am using another email service provider. I have verified with them the imap amd smtp settings.

Have you verified your settings for out outgoing SMTP server? Do you have the correct address for the SMTP server? Are you using the correct port? If it is using SSL/TLS, the port is normally 465. If it is using STARTTLS it would be port 587, otherwise it is 25. Most SMTP servers require authentication. It probably uses the same credentials as the incoming IMAP server. Ensure that these options are correct, then try sending a test email.

• James Link

I have verified settings for outgoing smtp server. I just tried port 25 but it still did not send test message. I am not sure what starttls is? I did check the ssl option box that lets incoming in. Sorry in advance if typos as I am using smart phone with thick fingers.

• Bruce E

Since Verizon is your service provider, are they also your email host or are you using Gmail, Outlook.com, or another email service?