How can I project my laptop screen to my Smart TV via Wifi?

Roberta T April 30, 2014

I’m trying to view my laptop monitor content on my smart TV screen (Samsung) using WiFi and possibly without adding any adapter.  Do you know how?
I have a window 7 laptop and another one with Linux Mint, but my priority is connecting the Windows one.  Thanks to anyone who may help.
Rob

@Rob, it is not so much a matter of Linux users not wanting to use new features, it is more about lack of interest from hardware manufacturers in helping out the Linux community. Frequently the manufacturers will develop the required software for Windows and Mac in-house and deliver it to Microsoft and Apple while Linux developers have to do it all themselves with little or no support from the manufacturer. Because of this, support for the latest features will take months longer to appear in Linux.

2. Rob

Thank you Rajaa.
    I'll check with Samsung support and I've found something about WiDi on Linux I'm trying to get working. I'll post something as soon as I get it working. But I find it quite unbelievable no Linux distribution has WiDi packages available to use. Possibly such a few users want to use WiDi features in Linux?
    Thanks again.

3. Rajaa C

Rob,

Probably you can use the Live Chat feature in the link provided above to connect to a Samsung Italy technical support guy to help you out. Also checkout the manual of Samsung LFD ME65C, ME75C or ME95C. They are Samsung's Professional LED LFDs with embedded WiFi and WiDi and their setup instruction may provide you with some hint of how to setup your device with WiDi. As for Windows, that is the only OS for hich Samsung has documented WiDi setup, however in a similar fashion Linux WiDi setup should also logically work, however the same is not documented. Hope this helps. :)

4. Rob

Thanks Rajaa,
    yes, I live in Italy. I read the manual, but there's no much help. For PC it only says how to set the resolution and frequency of the screen for the best outcome.
    But my troubles comes with my laptop and I have to install Windows 7 to update drives and check if WiDi is available or not.
    Rob

5. Rob

Thank you all for you kind and useful replies.
    My TV is Samsung UE46ES6100PXZT, with embedded WiFi and WiDi.
    I also got a laptop DELL Latitude E5500, with Intel processor but, for now, it's running with Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon as a replacement for Windows XP, so I suppose I cannot do anything unless I install Windows 7-8. Am I right?
    Thanks again,
    Rob

6. Rajaa C

First it is importnat to know the model number to suggest a solution. Few of Samsung's Smart TV has embedded WiFi and WiDi. If you have one such model, you do not need any extra adaptor, if your Windows Laptop have Wifi enabled. The user manual describes the setup process. However, if you do not have a embedded Wifi and Widi in your TV, you would require a WiFi adaptor. In both cases kindly tell the model number of your TV to suggest the correct resolution as in a compatible adaptor if required.

You would need a Wi-Di enabled smart tv and a Wi-Di capable laptop to stream your laptop screen to the tv without any extra adapters. The suggestion above may work for you, but you can also use a wireless pc-to-tv device such as this: http://www.iogear.com/pc-to-tv.htm. There are many similar devices that you can purchase, ranging from $25-200+, just make sure to read any reviews and gather the good and bad for each device.

8. Ron Drumheller

Try Tronsmart TV WIFI Mirroring Adaptor with Miracast software. I found mine on Amazon. Works great for me. Costs about $29 plus shipping.