How can I prevent specific devices from connecting to my network?

Brittany October 18, 2014

Is there a way to manually delete/block/prohibit only certain portable devices from connecting to my router? I just got internet. I made the fatal mistake of allowing my neighbor to use it. I hadn’t given a single thought to the fact that it would use up all my bandwidth, but I also had no idea that they literally put my password in every device they owned. Without telling them (it’s a real sticky situation) I would like to be able to block some of their devices, such as their Xbox or their phones (I am unsure as to why they even put it in their phones when they have fine 3g connection in our apartments) from making a connection. Fact of the matter is, I went through Xfinity and got the best/fastest internet they could provide and it’s already difficult to establish and keep a connection due to the overuse of bandwidth. Or so I am assuming. Either way I want to do this discreetly.

1. Jan F.

I'm not sure how you expect to deal with this discretely this way?

You allowed them to use your WiFi. If all of a sudden it stops working on some devices but not all they are probably going to ask you about it. Are you going to tell them "Your Xbox is probably broken"? What if they get a new Xbox and it will "stop working" (be blocked by you) again?

The most discrete way I can think of is knocking at their door and tell them "Sorry guys, but you are using up all my bandwidth. I thought it was no big deal letting you use my WiFi but it is now. Regulate your use or I will have to deny you access".

Selectively blocking things and limiting bandwidth while telling them "sure, feel free to use my WiFi" that's just... bad blood.

• Doc

You don't deal with something "discretely" (that would mean dealing with it one piece at a time), but "discreetly" (meaning quietly and unobtrusively.)

• Doc

You can't block a single device at a time, unless you want to "kick" them (temporarily disconnect them) as needed, but you *can* set up a MAC access control list, so that only specific devices can connect via the MAC (Media Access Control) address through your router's control panel, via MAC Address Filtering.
      http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-Router-Security/

You should be able to find the MAC addresses of the devices in your router's log. Next, go into the MAC filtering section of the router's settings. Most have the ability to allow any devices to connect EXCEPT those that are in the list or to ONLY ALLOW those that are in the list. From the way you phrased your question, you want to put the MAC addresses of the Xbox and phones into an exception list. Sorry I can't provide more detailed instructions as they vary depending on the make and model of the router and the firmware it is running.