How can I prevent clicking the middle mouse button from taking me to the Windows 8 start screen?

Fred G April 28, 2014

How do I change the mouse setting so that clicking the wheel doesn’t take me to the Win 8 start screen and/or back to desktop? It’s been a long day and I can’t seem to get Google to help me, or at least the settings I can find only change the scrolling functions.

1. Fred G

Okay it is the packaged Toshiba Mouse (and Keyboard) m66gf.

I can't find it listed as a product so finding the driver ins't an option. Really don't want to introduce a third party option.

I have read other posts around the web that people talk about this being a problem but all the responses talk about going into the Mouse Settings and change what happens when you click. But this setting doesn't show up (as far as I can see) in 8.1

This option is probably specific to your mouse's driver. I've just tested a mouse with a Windows 8 laptop and it does not respond to clicking the scroll wheel.

perhaps from the software interface of your mouse.
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/articles/win8-setpoint

you can also try to uninstall mouse driver (do not delete) and reboot.