How can I prevent Android apps racking up mobile data charges for data I don’t need?

Drsunil V March 30, 2014

How do I avoid Android apps from incurring mobile data charges for their cache memory? When mobile internet is on, I have noticed some apps utilize upto 15 mb of mobile data. Is it for offline reading? At any rate, that is too much ‘waste of mobile data bandwidth’ for data which may not be utilized. How can I avoid this? Do the apps have to be uninstalled, or is there a way that apps be used only for content in front interface and avoid back loading of data?

1. Jeff F

Android allows you to restrict data usage for individual apps. On your Android device, goto: Settings > Data Usage. Then find the application which you would like to restrict from using mobile data and check Restrict background data. This tells the Android operating system to not allow that application to transmit or exceed passed the desired bandwidth cap.

Your other option is to implement a firewall to restrict communications on specific applications. This option also works very well.

Lookout Mobile Security
    Kaspersky Internet Security for Android
    DroidWall (standalone firewall)
    MobiWall (standalone firewall)

• Tinkicker

I use Avast! antivirus on my phone, which has a built in firewall. For every app you can select data, wifi or the actual phone signal to restrict. Any or all three for every app. It works great for me.

• Drsunil V

Nice answer!