How can I play .mp4 files on my TV via a USB flash drive?

December 29, 2013

We have a Foehn & Hirsch LMHCUH television.

It has a usb port which I have previous looked at pictures through.

I want to watch films – in .mp4 format it shows me the films on the menu screen on the TV, but when I try to play it says unsupported file. I cannot find any information in the manual about it (but then the manual doesn’t say much about much to be honest!)

1. Mark Julius U

Maybe your TV doesn't play MP4 files? You should convert it first to AVI format or other formats

2. Anish P

Have you tried using a video conversion software that would change the format to a more universal .AVI or MPEG? Perhpas this could make it easier to read for your device. Although, I'm almost positive .MP4 is also pretty universal.

3. David See

Why is this a useless post? I would imagine there are thousands of people out there trying to work out why they can't get video to play off a USB stick. Heck, I am a video professional (producer/cameraman/editor) with over 20 years experience and I still struggled with this initially.

• Get Serious

And why would ANYTHING be unworthy of Facebook? Dog feces and all things inferior to it are worthy of Facebook.

4. Chinmay S

1) Download Freemake Video Converter
    http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

2) Install and open it. Click on +Video button on the top.

3) Select your .mp4 File.

4) Now select "to AVI" from the bottom.

5) A dialog will open. Select the location where you want to save the file. Click Convert.

5. Dandy P

convert to video converter,.choice, what do you want.

.

6. Ghaith E

Sorry I mean using your pc

7. Ghaith E

Hi. I guess I the best option is to change the file format using your phone and it would play the file.

8. Ameya Nadkarni

check if the tv has an software update
    while i was buying tv this year in august i found that many TVs in their main menu had an option for software update
    although most of them were smart TVs
    i check on how to update a normal tv and the website gave instructions to update the software via a pen drive..
    check on site if u find a sotware update..
    also someone above mentioned about container and format..it is also true...
    my tv play .mp4 files with mpeg but not mp4 files with vorbis or vp80 codec...

9. Danie

Use a blu ray dics player

10. James H

This was not facebook worthy at all.

11. Less Anonymous

Just buy another TV - much simpler!

12. hamza

hi dont convert dont do any thing ,just fomate the usb with ntfs and it will work perfecty

Was it really necessarry to show this on facebook and point to this useless post ..

14. Tom S.

The USB drive has to be formatted to FAT32, which is ususally the default for a USB drive. If it is NTFS, or someting else, the TV will not recognize it.

Then add the mp4 file to the drive. The TV should recognize it now.

• Doc

If you can view files that are on the USB drive on the TV, it obviously can read the drive, duh!

15. GigabyteXXL

Buy a Raspberry Pi computer. 5.5v bluray playback device and its super easy to use! Has HDMI / 2 usb ports, Ethernet port and The OpenElec OS combined with XBMC plays all my movie files pictures music ETC for 45$ cant go wrong!

16. Bruce

So the answer is "You can't!".

17. Gary

Select the USB connection. Then select the file you wish to play. I have a Humax PVR and this works fine.

Put drive in blu ray player connected to TV and it will play movies

19. Shree

Hey, the .MP4 is just a container like .AVI and .MKV and these are not formats. A format is like MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 (Part 2), MPEG-4 AVC (Part 10) or H.264 or x264. Anyway, the point is your TV may not identify the format by the container (file name extension) so just RENAME your .MP4 to .AVI and see if it works. If it does, I will give you more gyan on why it did. :) All best!

convert to avi and see if it works, perhaps the only media supported are pictures

There is no such model as "LMHCUH" listed on their homepage or anywhere else I looked on the web e.g. shops.

At this point all I can say is that the problem is straight forward: Your mp4 files are not supported. It may be the encoding e.g. x264 or it may be the entire container.

Since none of their models lists any media support I would assume images are the only supported type.
    Of course you can always try using another format and encoding e.g. using a simple mpeg-1 file or maybe DivX.