How can I perform a factory reset on my ASUS computer?

February 2, 2014

I have tried numerous times to perform a total factory reset on my ASUS Windows 8 but it has failed every single time. It asks me to insert the recovery disk or drive. It never came with one. From what I have understood, the Windows 8 is actually built in the computer so you don’t need a disk. I think it’s kind of like performing a factory reset on my phone. I want it back to the “fresh out of the box” state. I’m so frustrated. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would even be willing to do a remote access for someone to help me :( Thanks so much – Samantha

1. Samantha G

I have tried all of these options like the F9 button (tapping it really fast) then the factory reset, I have nothing important on my computer so I didn't have to back anything up but nothing is working. I have called Asus before and they said they don't have a disk they could give me. I sent it in to be repaired. I wanted them to do a factory reset. When I got it back, I tried to do a factory reset to see if it worked and again it didn't work. I'm so frustrated. I was told that Windows 8- not sure if it 8.1 or whatever can do factory resets with out a disk and I heard that it came with an anti virus program that I wouldn't have to buy one.

2. Curtis James McConnell

My Asus laptop recently had a virus that prevented me from refreshing or reinstalling. I would go through Bruce E's steps and Refresh/Restore would start, immediately stop and tell me no changes were made.

step 0. BACK UP YOUR DATA TO SOMETHING EXTERNAL, thumbdrive, external drive, cloud storage, etc.
    1. WinKey C (bring up Charms)
    2. Tap the Gear icon (settings)
    3. Tap Power icon.
    4. Tap RESTART (not shut down)
    5.Hold down F9 while it's restarting. (if this just brings up your normal login screen, hit RESTART and tap F9 very fast while it restarts.)
    6. Select Troubleshoot (enter), then Advanced Options (enter). Navigate to either Refresh (preserves data) or Restore (factory out of box settings.) This takes awhile, and you will have to do perhaps a hundred updates, and then reinstall/customize your apps and data.

okay you have to boot Windows 8 and repeatedly touch one of the F keys you you should get a menu with factory recovery option so just follow the steps, before anything just backup your files somewhere else since everything will be erased and windows reinstalled

Most systems come with a recovery partition (sometimes hidden) on your hard disk that has the original disk image stored on it which is used to do the system recovery. If this partition no longer exists or was damaged, it could be cause of the errors you are seeing. Most systems also come with a tool that allows you to create CD or DVD sets that can be used for the recovery process by recreating the recovery partition and restoring the factory image on the C: drive which brings you back to the original out-of-box configuration. It is most likely attempting to locate a usable recovery image (either the original factory recovery partition or a user-created recovery set). If the Update and Recovery options are not working properly in Windows 8 (charms bar - Settings - Change PC settings - Update and Recovery - Recovery, then using either the Refresh or Reinstall buttons), your computer may have another custom option to perform system recovery. Lenovo systems have "One-touch restore". ASUS may have something similar you can try. Otherwise, you may need to contact ASUS for a set of recovery discs.