What can I do with my PC now that Microsoft is killing XP?

Mohammad Hamzani S March 11, 2014

I have a computer that runs Windows XP, it has an Intel Celeron processor, 1.5 GB of RAM, 80GB hard drive, GeForce4 MX graphics card, and a cd-rom/dvd-rom drive. If I can never use Windows XP again after Microsoft kills it, what’s the best option for me to move on? I know Windows 7 is barely fit for my system, or am I wrong there? What’s the best fit for my system?

1. Howard B

Windows 8.1 Update 1 (due this spring) will reduce memory requirements from 2GB to 1GB, and should work very nicely on your system. With a "start menu" replacement and the Windows 7 theme from DeviantArt, you'd mistake it for Windows 7 for the most part.

• Mohammad Hamzani S

1GB? is that minimum requirement? i suppose it will consume my cpu usage and my PF usage more then 899KB just in idle mode isnt it? that mean i will face lag and freeze when i use photoshop or any program that required cpu and ram usage.. it still far from safe to run it on my system now.. better yet.. wi will wait and see for abit more before decide either to stick to XP or use retro like u buntu or kbuntu or using Xp with full offline without internet.

2. Mohammad Hamzani S

i will see for a while.. i also download a copy of linux. just wait and see what will happen.. if it will let me using xp.. i dont mind going offline all the time just like before..

3. Rajan S

You can upgrade your machine with Window 7 OS due to best compatibility with existing hardware. This approach also gives relaxation from any kind of update in hardware section that saves your money & time.

• dragonmouth

Sorry but Linux works with more older hardware than Win 7. Most current Linux distros will work on PII and PIII processors while Win 7 will not.

4. Jesse M

Install a Linux OS!

5. Mohammad Hamzani S

it put me at rest. i been using Windows XP for 12 years now.. from XP home that come preinstall in my new pc then when i got better a year later. i switch it to XP profesional and stick to it till now. i also have win 7, but since it jusg "eye candy" and make my system lag in my previous system that run by Pentium 4 with 1.8ghz. althought i not try install it in my current PC system. but, i suspect i will just a little bit different only. Microsoft only look at development country. and they oviously greedy. if they goes to undevelop or poor and 3rd countries. many pc in house mostly and bussiness must use win XP and a Secondhand or refurbish pc that came from develop country. althought im a mid level in computing, but sometime asking for experts it a must.

and yeah, i been disable my automatic update 12 years ago when i became familiar with xp. never install any update since then no matter how many time i reformat my pc. and, i only stick to what i know in using internet and not just randomly click any link and popup message. im, also maintain my pc my self for the past 10 years. learning all by myself via books, ebooks, freind and common base sense and of course understanding english. i disable all aoto update in third party sofatware including antivirus and manually update it by patch of update pack. and in case if fail. i know a trick to get it done by "cheat" a litle.

im just hope that microsoft will let Xp live no matter they end support or not... just let it be a part of beginer or newbie system and let it be CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY for Microsoft. many people expecially older people still confuse to use Win 7 in my country. many feel secure using Win XP cause it easy and less confusing. people will move on by them self if they got what it take to move on... it just like u ask a citizen in an island to move to another island by force when some of them have no boat or equipment to let them sail to new island. it just stupid decision. people will move on if they have what it take.. no one want to stuck at the past forever right... but some of them are incapable of doing changing to their life. that all.

6. A41202813GMAIL

I Have Not Used M$ Support Since The SUMMER Of 2009.

And, Yes, I Browse The Internet Every Single Day.

XP, FOREVER !

I agree with Matt, though you would need to make sure that you are using decent security software to include antivirus, antimalware, and firewall. Don't rely on Microsoft Security Essentials as it is mediocre at best, and has been known to cause issues with XP (though there are fixes for these issues).

Windows 7 32 bit should run okay on your system, but not as quickly as XP. Also, depending on the hardware, some drivers may not be easily found or compatible with your system, such as drivers for an Intel Pro 100 network interface card, which would require purchasing newer hardware to replace it.

Otherwise, you could use Lubuntu as it is a lighter version of Ubuntu, though the learning curve is fairly steep. If you go to the E-books section of this website, there are guides and manuals that you can use to help you with Linux/Ubuntu installation and use. Lubuntu can bring new life to the older computer, and offers many similar capabilities to Windows. Progress has been made for better gaming experience in Linux, especially with Steam (Steambox is becoming available, which is a Linux-based gaming system using regular computers).

8. Mohammad Hamzani S

i know that. how about the pop up notification? can we disable it? i will stick to XP as long as i can and as long as i dont have money to upgrade it to better system.. im just currious if microsoft will BOMBARD us with the pop up notification from it OS or third party software that support microsoft or it agent.. it just so unfair to just KILLED XP when more person and company used it as main pc in house or bussiness in 3rd countries or undevelop or low country. many store gone bankrup in my country that selling REFURBISH, RECON and SECONDHAND PC that oviously from U.S and high level countries.

• Oron J

The annoying pop up is delivered via Windows update KB2934207 (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2934207). I've not tried it, but in principle you could remove it and this would stop the pop up from appearing. You may as well disable automatic updates while you're at it, seeing as you're not going to get any useful ones anyway...

I think it's fair enough that Microsoft do not want to continue putting money into a system which is putting people off from buying their latest products... On the other hand, it would have been very nice legislators forced companies to either pass support for obsolete products on to third parties or to open-source the code... There are a lot of people, and a lot of equipment, including embedded equipment such as ATMs and scientific instuments that use XP, and simply leaving them vulnerable is not, shall we say "in the costumer's interest".

• Jan F

You have to remind yourself that Windows XP now is 13 years old. The average business goes through 2 to 3 upgrade cycles in software and hardware within that time.

The usually scenario is that users of embedded systems (e.g. payment systems) and scientific instruments have been waiting for an upgrade for a long time since all of that equipment and the systems are dated. Likewise they often don't meet current standards of their fields and have to be retrofitted.

I don't see much issues for ATM systems. They should be on a fully isolated Intranet network with no access to the outside world. In a bank following security standards IT systems don't have any internet access, not Google, not Email. It's all internal. So not having security updates shouldn't cause any real issues unless they are lacking on other ends.

I don't think it looks any different for open source. Ubuntu Long Term Support for example only covers 5 years. Yes, you can manually upgrade components to stay up to date but if you are capable of that you should have no troubles keeping your XP system secure either.

9. Matt S

Microsoft is not killing XP, they're just discontinuing support, which means you won't get new updates and won't be help to get customer assistance from Microsoft. You can continue to use it on your PC.

• Douglas M

Yes, I have been used all Microsoft products for years and never had the need to request customer assistance from Microsoft. So he can still use his XP and I don't think there is anything really special he will miss by not getting updates. XP is like a grown up man that doesn't need to grow anymore...
      However if he need to stay on the line with Microsoft he can trim down Windows 7 to the bare essential.
      MUO has an article for that: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tiny-ssd-slim-windows-7-minimal-installs/
      Good luck!