Can my phone replace a WiFi adapter to connect my PC to my router?

Garris Rago March 31, 2013

So I broke my wireless adapter the other week. I’m waiting for one in the post, that parts sorted – I’m trying to cope in the mean time!

I tether 3G internet connection off my mobile phone via USB cable, just for bare minimum things like emails and Facebook (i.e. not gaming, hi-res streaming) but I’m trying to access a few things that I can’t, like steam. I assume this is because there’s not enough bandwidth from my phone, well I don’t know the exact technical phrases but “there’s not enough internet” is what I assume – I’m not great with this kind of stuff!

What I would like to do, or at least try, is use my phone to connect my PC to my router, which could then use my normal internet connection? Just saying at this point Ethernet connection is out of the question for this scenario. Perhaps this wouldn’t help at all, I would like to give it a shot. I’ve had a little look around but can’t find if there is a way.

Just to reiterate, I would like your help finding a way to use my phone to connect my PC to my router in order to use my ‘regular internet’ (not 3G).

Thanks in advance for responses!

1. Yazdan

connect your device with usb
    go to settings >> wireless & networks >>tethering & portable hotspot
    check usb tethering
    then you can connect your phone to any wifi and use it
    im using it right now :D

2. Alyshia G

You gotta have an adroid. Just turn on your tethering and connect it to your computer via USB. :)

3. Uchitha Jayathissa

Yes, If you have an android phone. Just connect your phone to wifi network and turn on USB Tethering. (Android)

4. Joel Thomas
  5. Jan Fritsch

I couldn't find reports about doing this with a Nexus One so I suggest to just test it out i.e. connect your phone to your local WiFi, turn mobile data off (3G, LTE, etc.) and then connect to your computer via USB.

which phone do you have and what is the OS?

How To Use Your Cell Phone As A Modem
    http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/phonesformobileworkers/a/how-to-tether.htm

• Garris Rago

Thanks for the link, but that's what I already am doing. It's a HTC Google Nexus One, on 2.3.6 Gingerbread