How can I mute external TV sound while using my Xbox 360 wireless headset?

Jessthecoconut May 22, 2014

I’ve posted on MUO before and I’m hoping you guys can help me again.

I recently got a new Toshiba 50″ LED HDTV and have my Xbox 360 connected to it through an HDMI cable just fine. I also have an X12 Turtle Beach gaming headset plugged into the correct audio spots on the back of the tv and I hear game audio just fine through the headset.

Problem is, I have to have sound on on the TV speakers to hear through the headset as well. If the TV is muted, I can’t use the headset. Before on my old TV when I was using your basic composite (red/yellow/white) I could unhook the red and white audio cables from the TV to have audio through the headset only. Is there any way to have that on this TV as well, or is my $60 headset now obsolete?

1. Tim B

Hi,

There's a good chance there's a menu option to mute the TV speakers while still providing sound to external devices (in this case, your headset). The "mute" function of your TV should technically always mute all audio, as that is its function. My suggestion would be to trawl the menus for an option that involves muting sound on the internal speakers. I have an LG smart TV that offers this option, and even my old non-smart LCD had it. The problem is many manufacturers hide these useful settings within menus (often within other menus).

The problem here will be that you'll need to enable and disable it as and when you need it. So that's not ideal, but at least it somewhat solves your problem.

I'd be very surprised if Toshiba hadn't included the option to kill the TV speakers, look under something like "Audio" or "Sound" settings... I wish I could help more but I don't have a Toshiba TV to play with unfortunately.

Let us know how it goes.

Tim