How can I move my email messages from Apple Mail to Outlook 2011 for Mac?

Dancampbell_daniel April 22, 2014

Due to some official protocols I need to use Outlook 2011 for Mac from now on. I had all my emails stored in Apple Mail and unfortunately deleted them from the server. Now I need to transfer these .Mbox files of Apple mail to Outlook 2011 for Mac but couldn’t find any direct way to do it.

Please suggest some simple soltion to import .Mbox files in outlook 2011 for mac as I am a newbee to the Microsoft application and Microsoft has always puzzled me with its complications.

1. Russell

Actually, there is no direct way available for Apple-mail to Outlook 2011 for OLM.

You can do this task in two phase that are :

1 - Convert MBOX file of Apple mail in to PST format

2 - Then convert PST file in to OLM file

2. Adam G

First of all Open Mail and export the mailboxes to .mbox format by following step: Mailbox Menu>Export Mailbox). This will create an .mbox file, then in Mac Outlook:

1. Click on File menu, click Import.
    2. Click Contacts or messages from a text file, and then click the right arrow.
    3. Click Import messages from an MBOX-format text file, and then click the right arrow.
    4. Follow the instructions.

Hope this will help you to convert apple mail to Outlook 2011.

3. Clark Highman
    • Dancampbell_daniel

Thank you for suggesting this tool. this was a huge relief for transferring my email data, and also all the data was secure.

It is possible to do this without external tools, but it is a tremendous faff. See
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macoutlook/import-email-from-mail-to-outlook-2011/5e858173-e1f4-4adc-99d7-253cc467169d?page=2 for details.

The easiest way, however, is to use Emailchemy http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/ which will convert the email for you from one format to the other, and comes with an excellent manual. A personal copy of Emailchemy costs $29.95.

A third possibility is to connect Apple Mail to an email account via IMAP (this doesn't have to be your usual account, you can just create a Gmail account for the purpose) . Copy all the messages into it and they will be uploaded. Then connect Outlook 2011 to the same account, via IMAP again, and let the messages download, then copy them to wherever you want to keep them and disconnect from that account. This is slow but preserves the attributes of your email (e.g. read/unead) better than any other method. Amongst other features, Emailchemy has a "local IMAP server" for that purpose.