How can I merge my business email with my Gmail account?

Rodneyk Z February 17, 2014

I have a website with an email address on the website’s domain. I want to receive all of my emails in my Gmail instead for security reasons. How can I merge my business email into my Gmail?

1. Mellissa

Under settings/accounts use Send Mail As... to set up the outgoing and then settings/accounts/check mail from other accounts...

This is the free/easy way to get that mail into gmail and gain the ability to send as that mail from gmail. There are drawbacks, but not many.

I've been running this setup for literally years on like 9 accounts total.

There are several ways you can do this, and the answer depends to a certain extent on what the security concerns are. Briefly, here are the options:
    1. You can create a Google Apps account ($50 per year) and set the necessary DNS records (MX etc) at your registrar's to point to Google's server. The advantage is that your GMail account will actually be your business account and everything will all "proper" and straightforward. The disadvantages are a) the price and b) a bit of techie stuff to do to get this going (Google and your registrar should be able to help, but if you've never done this before it can be confusing).

2. You can set up forwarding so that all your existing business email goes to your GMail account. Exactly how to do this varies, but it's usually very simple to do (remember to make sure to have the messages deleted from the old account after forwarding). In GMail, you will need to set up your business address as a "Send email as" option (in settings, accounts), and this will need verification, but it's not particularly hard. This is easier to do, but it means that email goes first to the existing server and then gets forwarded to GMail, which can occasionally cause problems.

3. You can set up GMail to "Check email from other accounts (using POP3)" (again, in Settings, accounts) and also set up "Send email as" as described above. This is a bit easier to do and less prone to problems, but your email will take a little longer to get through, since GMail will only fetch your email on a scheduled basis.

Host Your Domain Email at Gmail (Without Forwarding)
    http://smarterware.org/3628/host-your-domain-email-at-gmail-without-forwarding