How can I make my wired router wireless?

paul October 12, 2014

I have TP-LINK 7200ND wireless adapter and I want to use WiFi on it to connect other devices.

Unfortunately, this adapter cannot repeat signals. I was thinking that I will buy a female USB to Ethernet adapter in which I will insert the USB TP-LINK 7200nd and the RJ45 jack into WiFi router TP-Link TL-WR740N. Will the WiFi work?

Please tell me.

And can I make a direct connecting system in TP-LINK 7200nd without access to an open PC?

1. Jan F.

On top of what Oron said, a USB to RJ45 adapter is a purely passive connection.
    It allows you to use a Ethernet cable as an extension cord rather than buying e.g. a 10m USB cable (one end would be USB female to RJ45, the other RJ45 to USB male).

It does not enable you to use a USB device via an Ethernet port, it does not magically add Wireless Access Point functionality to your router.

This is where we hit the key point:
    Unless your wired router has a USB port and that port specifically allows you to use a USB WiFi Adapter to setup an Access point you cannot do what you want to do.

You will have to get a wireless router or an access point to extend your network with WiFi access.

Sadly Paul, no. You need either a repeater, or a router that can be used in repeater mode.
    Ordinary routers route (i.e. they forward a packet on a particular route depending on its destination address). Repeaters, well, they repeat every packet received on one circuit (WiFi in this case) on the other. That's not the same thing, so even if you connect your WiFi adapter as you suggest, the router won't "know" to send the data through to it correctly.