How can I maintain laptop performance when on battery power?

Junayd August 13, 2014

Whenever I unplug my laptop all its performance goes down including browsing internet, streaming videos, playing videos in vlc media player. It gives slow response to tasks it is commanded. It was suggested to use ‘high performance’ mode instead of ‘power save’ or ‘Balanced’ mode. It worked pretty fine but that will certainly effect battery life & time. I also installed a fresh copy of Windows but the problem is same. So please suggest me a better solution.

1. Junayd

@Hovesp A
    I did'nt find any trick to be in my favour at last I made back up my important files, purchased "windows 7 Home premium" 64 bit this time and now me & laptop is rocking. no problem no issue remained.

thanks for your feedback, glad that your laptop happily working for you and entertainment:)

2. Junayd

windows 7 ultimate 32 bit

3. Junayd

well guys thanks for the suggestions. It will be okay if I may compromise on some issues for better performance.

which windows OS you have?

Junayd, I agree with Bruce's main points and if I hadn't seen your response to it, would have left it there. However, seeing your reply, I understan you have reinstalled Windows on the laptop.

In this case, you probably want to go to the laptop manufacturer's website and download the specific drivers for it. In particular, the chipset and the graphics ones (although installing the others is a good idea too). Manufacturers often tweak their drivers for better performance beyond the version supplied by Microsoft with the Windows installation disk. The principle will still apply (higher speed & graphics performance = shorter battery life) but the performance may improve to a point where, especially if you modify the "when running under battery" options, you are happy with the results.

• Junayd

I appreciate your reply oron J as you suggested that chipset and graphic drivers should be downloaded from manufacturer's website and install them. I always do so whenever I on mine system or on someone else's installs windows I get drivers from manufacturer's source and install them even Microsoft provides built-in drivers in windows 7. Because if I do not install them from manufacturer's, graphics start to slow down when it comes to multitasking or playing HD movies or games. So no issue with drivers thing. May be overwriting built-in drivers causing this. I now thinks that I should give a try to home premium or professional version with a new disk. may be that solves the issue. However thank y'all.

• Junayd

yeah it is Advance system care defrag tool I have set it autostart as windows initiates and the time I am replying this there are currently 57 processes going on and CPU usage ranges from 15% to 40% and physical memory being used is 36% and yes this statics are on battery power.

maybe somehow you slowed the cpu when on battery? when you open your task manager do you see any high unusual process?

Change the size of virtual memory
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7
    Make it equivalent to your RAM size for the initial size and twice of the initial size in maximum size : The virtual memory set by default is approximately 70% of the recommendation.
    a. Press windows + R key from the keyboard.
    b. Select the option Control Panel and All control panel items then System.
    c. Click on Advanced system settings.
    d. Under performance, click on settings.
    e. Go to Advanced tab, Under Virtual memory, click on Change.
    f. UN-check "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box.
    g. Select your windows drive (where OS is installed).
    h. Click on Custom size radio button.
    i. Set Initial size equivalent to your RAM size in MB.
    j. Set Maximum size to twice of your RAM size in MB.
    k. Click on Set.
    l. Click on OK
    m. RestartWindows.

• Junayd

well thank you. here is the screenshot for tasks usually going on.
      http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fz7v2c&s=8
      I have not tried yet your suggested method but I will and hopes the better result

is the diskdefrag running in the background? what about the cpu usage, is it 100% when on battery?if you remove your antimalware and try on battery is it same or better?

Your choices are limited with a laptop. You can either optimize for battery life (run time) or you can maintain the performance you have while wired to the wall. There are a few shades in between but you need to tweak your power settings manually to achieve it but adjusting anything down from the High Performance settings will affect all of the items you listed in your question. You could also start with the Balanced or Power Saver settings and then change the settings so the hard drive doesn't spin down so soon which should help with most of the lag/slow response issues. You probably would want to adjust the screen brightness settings so they won't keep changing as well.

• Junayd

I never had this issue before as i had professional package of windows on a disk but since I lost it I came with ultimate disk and the problem I mentioned might be related to this disk or version otherwise there are millions of windows users if the problem affected all of them there would be noise or something so
      now I think the problem could be related to this copy of windows I am using probably missing some file or something.

• Bruce E

The big difference between Ultimate and Professional is in the extras you can install. The base installation of both differ little. I've got a report here somewhere that shows the differences in the files installed, running processes and services, and more. I just need to find it again...

• Oron J

Again, I agree with Bruce. There's practically no difference between Win 7 Pro and Ultimate apart from a few extras, which mostly sit on the disc doing nothing (unless your PC has joined a domain). Don't waste your time on reinstalling and continue looking for a solution. Good luck!