Can JavaScript make the Tab key browse through Firefox bookmarks?

Peter13 April 4, 2013

I don’t know why this is not default behavior in Firefox, but when the bookmarks menu is opened pressing the Tab key closes the menu instead of going through the bookmark folders. My question is if this can be done with javascript code? For example, pressing Tab key select next folder in the menu and pressing shift+tab select folders in revers direction.

I tried to run some scripts with Greasemonkey and Keyconfig addon but since my knowledge about javascript is very limited i couldn’t implement what i wanted.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks!

1. null

I am sure it can be done with javascript, I am not sure about the security issue. But there are addons that prevent sites running javascript, so i don't worry about this.
    Here is one similar greasemonky script which is about google suggest, but probably it can be modified to work with the bookmarks menu - http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/76505

I managed to implement this with autohotkey script with remapping the Tab key to down arrow key, but the problem with this is that the tab key can't be used for anything else like switching tabs with ctrl+tab, for example.

If it could be done through Java I wouldnt for the reasons Bruce has outlined. What I did do was to tag my bookmarks giving them a tag name the same as the folder name they are stored in. Basically if I type the tag name then it will show everything with that name which happens to be the name of the folder.

I don't know of a way to access bookmarks via JavaScript with any current browsers. And that is a very good thing because of the HUGE security hole it would open up. Imagine this: You go to a website and it uses it's neat little JavaScript routine to open up your bookmarks, scan for financial insitutions and change the URI to point to their own phishing site that they have set up for your bank and investment sites. Now when you go to "your" bank, you are no longer at your bank's site.

Because of this type of scenario, it is good that JavaScript can determine various aspects of the browser you are using, but cannot change its settings (outside of some DOM-related items that can be overridden with browser settings).