Can I install Ubuntu on my former Windows-XP PC?

April 22, 2014

I plan to switch from Windows XP to Ubuntu 14.04. My PC has 512mb RAM, 80 GB hard disk space and only intgrated graphics. Are there any important things I need to know before I do this??

1. Mohammed F

Thanks Mr. Dalsan , your lucid explanation leaves no room for further doubts but to entertain this possibility that there's no problem in moving towards ubuntu but the latest Lubuntu is a wiser option for the hardware build which I have.
    Found this site and posts made by each useful. Thanks again.

• Dalsan M

You are quite welcome. At the core, Lubuntu is Ubuntu, but uses a light, Windows XP-like desktop environment. Regular Ubuntu uses a heavier Windows 7/Mac OSX-like desktop environment plus Unity's unmoveable bar to the left of the screen (quite annoying on a 4:3 square monitor as opposed to a 16:9 widescreen monitor).

The programs, many of which are nice alternatives to what you can find for Windows, are easy to find and install in a store-like environment; one does not have to rely on using commands in Terminal to install software as much, which is great for anyone converting from Windows. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, and don't forget that there are plenty of guides, tips, and tricks that can be found in the EBooks section and articles that can be searched for here at MUO. Cheers.

You might want to try out Lubuntu and Kubuntu before installing Ubuntu 14.04. Even previous versions of Ubuntu may be less resource hungry, meaning less sluggish. 512MB RAM is rather low, so expect performance slow downs at times. If at all possible, upgrade the memory to at least 1GB for better performance.

• Mohammed F

Thank you for your response. I would prefer the latest version so I consider the idea of upgrading the RAM. But on first things first basis, it would be nice if you can explain in plain the differences between Lubuntu ,Kubuntu, and ubuntu 14.04.

• Dalsan M

Lubuntu is geared towards older equipment or faster performance due to using the lighter LXDE environment instead of the heavier Unity environment. Kubuntu uses KDE environment, which is heavier in resources than LXDE but lighter than Unity. Xubuntu is between Lubuntu and Ubuntu in resource usage. Each version uses different desktop environments and there are other subtle differences, but Lubuntu does not have long-term support. Much more information can be found here and some information here.

• Dalsan M

I have had to use a Live CD of Ubuntu 12.04 that I had lying around to see if a Pentium 4 system was still working since the hard drive finally failed. It took a very long time to load (almost 5 minutes), and then when it did load, lagged quite badly, and this is from a 3.2GHz processor and 2GB RAM. I finally used Lubuntu 14.04 Live CD, and the difference was very significant. It loaded within 1 minute from a cold start, and once loaded, performed almost as quickly as Windows XP installed on the hard drive. Results will vary with each system, but I can say that the speed and performance difference would lead me to believe that Lubuntu may be the best choice for older systems, especially with low resources.

Installation/SystemRequirements
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
    Ubuntu Desktop Edition
    1. 700 MHz processor (about Intel Celeron or better)
    2. 512 MiB RAM (system memory)
    3. 5 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
    4. VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution
    5. Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
    6. Internet access is helpful

4. dragonmouth

You should have no problems installing Ubuntu on former XP PC. However, I would at least double the amount of RAM; better yet, put in as much RAM as the motherboard allows. Depending on how much data you plan to save, you should get a bigger hard drive. You can get a 1 TB drive from Newegg for around $60-$70.

I have two Linux PCs. The one I use for daily work has 1 GB RAM and a 250GB HD. I use the other PC to check out distros. It has 1GB RAM and a 40 GB HD. The drive is small because I don't keep ditros around long enough to store anything.

• Mohammed F

Nice, well my pc has two ram slots and it can accomodate upto 2gb RAM how should I go about upgrading my RAM?? . And can i go for an external hard drive or storage disk.