Can I write 720p/30fps video onto a standard HDD?
Question by Victor Ong /

I was just wondering if it was possible to write 720p 30fps video onto a regular hard drive. If so, what speed? Would 5600 RPM work, or would you need a full-speed 7200 RPM drive?

• Jan Fritsch

Usually all writing operations run through some cache (or memory) so even if the drive was slower than the 720p bit stream there shouldn’t be a problem. But in general 7200RPM are suggested.

At best follow the suggestions and/or requirements of your DVR, software or recording device. If it does perform real-time recording it should be stated that you require some 10.000RPM drive or SSD.

• Oron Joffe

You should be OK. All PVRs (AFAIK) use standard hard discs, and the bottleneck of physical rotational speed was eliminated a good number of years back. Even slower drives (5600RPM) will probably be OK (many are actually designed for AV work since the lower rotational speed allows them to keep cool for long hours). That said, a large hard drive cache can only help.

• Erlis Dhima

When you say writing, you mean copying you video file into the hdd. So, it nothing to worry. Just copy it. If you want to watch it (which in this case means reading speed), you need a certain reading speed. And in this case we are talking for a HDD, not a sd card or something like that. A sd card (for example, a digital camera sd card, for hd recording has a speed of 30 MB/s. sometimes higher.) is way to slower than a hdd, yet it can write and read hd videos.
    To understand more about RPM (which is the driver performance) and r/w speeds, check out this articles:,-uhs-speed-class,-and-speed-ratings

• Switchblade Rebirth

Uh no problem I say

Understanding Hard Drive Performance,1557.html

better RPM drive will have a smaller rotational latency due to its faster spinning so be able to read data faster. Hard drive also has cache (similar to a buffer), recently accessed data will be storred within the near vicinity for quicker access. The higher cache will be useful.

perhaps you want to find out about conversion video or to watch 720p 30fps video? in this case better to have a better graphic card and cpu.

• Victor Ong

I’d like to RECORD video that’s why.

you should be fine technically able to do the job, it will depend on read/write capabilities. any 7200 rpm drive with 32mb or better cache will be fast enough for recording. recording to an SSD should give you smoother/higher framerates. some recording programs cap at 60fps.

• Victor Ong

Thanks :) I have an ssd, but I don’t have the space for recording, so I was wondering if I needed and ssd or hdd.

• Alan Wade

I couldnt find anything to say it wont work but as you are only copying it to your hard drive try it and see. The very worst that can happen is you have to delete the video.