Can I use Symlink with removable drives?

Lisa Santika Onggrid January 24, 2013

Can I use Symlink to point the folder in my external hard drive to folder in my laptop? I assume I must either keep it connected all the time or plug it into a dedicated USB port (to preserve the drive letter), but I want to make sure so I won’t accidentally spawn error messages.

A symbolic link is like a short-cut but instead of being saved as a file it is registered to the hard drive partition. It does not use any disk space and all programs recognise both the link and the target. A symbolic link can point to any file or folder either locally on the computer or over a network using a SMB path.

Create Symbolic Links, Hard Links and Directory Junctions in Vista with MKLINK

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thanks. Has been using symlinks for a while but only for two internal drives. This means I can proceed as planned.