Can I use my Windows Vista Home Premium product key for Windows 8?

Erlis Dhima November 15, 2012

Hello everyone,

My friend’s laptop has Windows Vista Home Premium on it and ┬áthe laptop has the product key printed underneath. Now I was thinking if there is a way to upgrade directly to Windows 8 using this license, or even to upgrade to Windows 7? Do I need to buy anything else to complete the upgrade? Also, if I have this product key, can I do a clean install of Windows 8 using it?

Thanks in advance!

1. Rahul Prajapati

it won't work

2. Shahbaz Amin

I don't think so.
    I thought you can only upgrade to new Win 8 from Win 7 systesm?

3. Sathya Murthy

The product key is unique with respect to a product. so you cannot use the vista home product key with windows 8. You need to have a separate product key for windows 8 to use it.

4. kumar raja

it is impossible to do like this U can upgrade to windows 8 with low cost before Jan31st

5. Viren Sakariya

You Can't.

6. Sudhir Shingare

adding to my last comment. off course you have to buy a upgrade from Microsoft.
    Now there is a promotion going on for win 8 which is very cheap.

7. Sudhir Shingare

Yes you can upgrade to windows 7 or windows 8.
    I have a laptop with vista home premium.
    In past i upgraded to windows 7 and i upgraded to windows 8 Pro.
    You can either upgrade or do a clean install on your laptop.
    One thing you have to keep in mind is Device drivers but most Vista Drivers work fine on windows 7 or 8

8. Aswin Kumar K P

No.You need to buy a new key.

9. Harry Barnes

Is this a serious question? of course you can't! How on earth would microsoft make any money if people could just buy windows once and then get the new versions for free forever.

10. Erlis Dhima

Thanks everyone for your comment! I really needed an answer for this, and now I got it! Probably buying an upgrade of win 8 would be the best thing to do!
    I mark this question solved! (even if I don't see that link where I can mark it solved anymore!)

• softwaredemons

You have to buy one for Win 8

11. Aniket Singh

no u need to buy product key of that version u r installing...............

12. Nikhil Chandak

No u cannot
    u need a Windows 8 product key for upgrading to Windows 8

14. Owaseye ILEMOBAYO

yes you can

Windows product keys are specific to both the version AND the edition. You cannot even use that Vista Home Premium key to install a different edition of Vista. And depending on the manufacturer of the laptop, you may not be able to install it on another OEM system (some HP and DELL Windows OEM products will not install at all on an Acer, Lenovo, or other manufacturer's laptop - and not just due to driver issues).

16. Jan Fritsch

You need to buy either a Windows 7 respectively Windows 8 full or upgrade license [key] in order to install and use these version on the computer.

Yes, you can perform a "clean" installation of Windows 7/8 even if you have a upgrade license and/or media.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm

You cannot use a Vista or any other key to upgrade to Win 7 or 8 or any other version. You need to buy a new key to register the new operating system.

• Drew Butler

^ well said and completely correct IMO. I'd add more but you covered it so thought I'd confirm your advice.