Can I use my Windows Vista Home Premium product key for Windows 8?
Question by Erlis Dhima /

Hello everyone,

My friend’s laptop has Windows Vista Home Premium on it and  the laptop has the product key printed underneath. Now I was thinking if there is a way to upgrade directly to Windows 8 using this license, or even to upgrade to Windows 7? Do I need to buy anything else to complete the upgrade? Also, if I have this product key, can I do a clean install of Windows 8 using it?

Thanks in advance!

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , .
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software

• Rahul Prajapati

it won't work

• Shahbaz Amin

I don't think so.
    I thought you can only upgrade to new Win 8 from Win 7 systesm?

• Sathya Murthy

The product key is unique with respect to a product. so you cannot use the vista home product key with windows 8. You need to have a separate product key for windows 8 to use it.

• kumar raja

it is impossible to do like this U can upgrade to windows 8 with low cost before Jan31st

• Viren Sakariya

You Can't.

• Sudhir Shingare

adding to my last comment. off course you have to buy a upgrade from Microsoft.
    Now there is a promotion going on for win 8 which is very cheap.

• Sudhir Shingare

Yes you can upgrade to windows 7 or windows 8.
    I have a laptop with vista home premium.
    In past i upgraded to windows 7 and i upgraded to windows 8 Pro.
    You can either upgrade or do a clean install on your laptop.
    One thing you have to keep in mind is Device drivers but most Vista Drivers work fine on windows 7 or 8

• Aswin Kumar K P

No.You need to buy a new key.

• Harry Barnes

Is this a serious question? of course you can't! How on earth would microsoft make any money if people could just buy windows once and then get the new versions for free forever.

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks everyone for your comment! I really needed an answer for this, and now I got it! Probably buying an upgrade of win 8 would be the best thing to do!
    I mark this question solved! (even if I don't see that link where I can mark it solved anymore!)