Can I use my router as a wireless extender to boost the WiFi signal?

Satyan B October 24, 2013

I am getting a TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router for INR 875/- i.e $14.21
I have read various reviews on how one can turn a WiFi router into a signal booster using DD-WRT FW. And As I checked the site, this router is supported.
However my question is can I use this router as a range extender? Is it worth it?
Wireless extenders here start at a min price of INR 1550 i.e $ 25.17

I am specifically asking for this particular model as I need to know as compared with wireless extenders, which are costly, is this router worth getting to use as an extender?
Is the trouble of going through the long process to convert a Router into a Extender worth it?
And no I do not want to spend a lot on the extender which is why I shortlisted this router.(This router has a rating of 4.4 as per 1177 Ratings and 662 reviews on the site offering it for this price.)

Please do let me know so I can make this decision ASAP.
Thank you.

1. Satyan B

Well no there is no way for me to connect the extender to my router via cable.
    Thanks for your response.

If it does support the standard version of DD-WRT you can set it up e.g. as a repeater bridge which basically does the same as a range extender.

If the price is the same it doesn't really matter I guess. Of course a DD-WRT router offers all kind of things in addition – so if you no longer have the need for an extender you can easily repurpose it for something else network related.

The general consideration should be if you do need an extender or if you can connect the device to your existing router via cable e.g. an additional access point. A range extender will always use up (wireless) bandwidth on the main router and behind the extender speeds are cut in half.

For example under normal circumstances a Wireless-N connection with a wall in between will get you 70-100Mbps on the range extender. Then cut the bandwidth in half you get 50Mbps tops – for file transfers or even downloads that would mean 5Mb per second maximum for clients connected to the range extender.